Kt250 Shocks - Advice Please

jamieson

Hi. Need to replace the rear shocks on my KT250 and have decided to go for Falcon steel shocks.

Before ordering them I would be grateful if anyone could advise if I should alter any of the standard settings. The standard falcon trials shocks for the KT are 13.9" length (353mm) with 50lb/in springs. Regarding weight, I am about 12 stone with kit (give or take). I don't intend using the bike for serious competition riding (I'm not good enough anyway) but none the less would like to get the bike setup as best I can without spending silly money.

Also, minor point really, but I notice that the quoted size of the KT lower shock mounting studs (as noted in Falcon product list) is 10mm dia whereas I have measured the ones I my bike to be 12mm. As I say, minor point but just wondered if anyone knows what they should be - or can they vary from bike to bike?

Many thanks

Simon

That's good to know, thanks for that. :)

With the pins, the top ones are 14mm dia and the bottom ones 12mm dia. It was just that the bottom ones are noted by Falcon as being 10mm so I just wondered why mine were different?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Just got and fitted the new Falcon shocks.

Had to lift the lower spring retaining cups up a couple of notches on the body so the LH spring didn't foul with the chain. This put about 20 - 25lbs extra preload on each spring but that seems to work fine for me.....I must be a bit heavier than I thought (hoped!).

Anyway, just glad I had the forethought (for once) to get the shocks made up with the body (cylinder) at the bottom so that the bottom of the springs could be lifted clear. Might be worth bearing in mind for anyone else considering getting these shocks.

Cheers

Edited by Jamieson