Gasket Glue

skippy1234

The official line from both the engine manufacturer and the gasket manufacturer is that unless they mention otherwise, gaskets should be used dry.

My personal view is that they are using brand new ultra-clean components, not warped by heat or use and not damaged during the dis-assembly process. Also, if it leaks, they can either replace it or leave it for the supplying dealer to sort out.

I don't like doing a job twice so I always use a bit of gasket 'jam'. My personal favourite is a thin smear of blue hylomar on both metal faces.

Rolls Royce use it too, I've been there and I've seen it.

But.

The official line from both the engine manufacturer and the gasket manufacturer is that unless they mention otherwise, gaskets should be used dry.

clean both surfaces and a light coat of grease on both faces of gasket! you will find you need grease to fit new clutch cover oil seals and water pump seal! there is nothing worse than loads of sealer hanging out evey joint! looks like its been bodged and thrown together!

just split my techno engine and in process of replacing main bearings ive ordered gasket set ,now when i put the centre gasket on do i use gasket glue or just the gasket on its own cheers mick

I use red hermatite, for pretty much anything. Helps keep the gasket in place, but looks rough if spilled.

I bought gasket paper a while ago, and only today had to make a new water pump gasket, quick smear with the red hermaphrodite, all is well.

more views please as the parts arrive tuesday cheers

In my experience, center case gaskets are installed "dry". For cases that require a sealer, I use Yamabond-4, which is specifically intended for center case sealing.

Jon

Basicly all new parts with fresh manufactured gaskets would be great, but maintenance and servicing always requires some form of opinion based on experience, the posibility or the severity of a failure. There is nothing wrong in using some jointing paste sparingly as it holds gaskets in position and helps them squeeze up if you think they require it.

Please note never use anything on Cylinder head Gaskets!

Yes gaskets are designed to be and should fitted dry but some things to be considered;

Condition of component sealing faces, check for flatness any damage or dents could be repared/filled with 'e'metal,

There are many forms of gasket material, thickness, hardness and what substance they are required to seal (ie water, oil, petrol, solvents)

Even the age or how the material has been stored, some can harden and lose the flexibilty or resilience meaning they dont squeeze properly when clamped up.

Edited by RichT

Gday, go with Jon. No sealer - these gaskets aready have a compound impregnated in them which is activated by heat. Using sealer can lead to the gasket sliding out or breaking when the cases are torqued up. They must be perfectly clean and dry for assembly. Make sure there are no nicks or scratches in the gasket surfaces. Use a green scoth pad or similar to clean all traces of the old gasket off and then some solvent to degrease thouroughly. You will not get any leaks this way.

Cheers,

Stork.