Kt250 Wheel Rim & Tyre Sizes

jamieson

Hi there,

Looking for help again please. Need new tyres for my KT and just want to check what size tyres should be fitted. The bike has currently got 3.00 x 21" front and 110 x 18" rear. I think the standard sizes are supposed to be 2.75 x 21 front and 4.00 x 18 rear.

The wheel rims are D.I.D 1.60 x 21 and 1.85 x 18 front and rear respectively. Can anyone please confirm that these are the right type/size rims, i.e. factory standard, and what size tyres should be fitted? Also would appreciate any advice on which make of tyres to fit - don't plan on making bike road legal so trial use only tyres required.

Many thanks

Those are the OEM sizes. Check your rims carefully for cracks while the tires are off. Mine had cracks, and since water sections had left the spokes/nipples pretty corroded I ended up replacing both spokes and rims which is not an inexpensive thing to do. I got a 2.15x18 replacement rear rim (WM3) as that seems to be what the modern bikes are running and it should help to stabilize the tire on the rim a little better.

2.75x21 and 4.00x18 are the standard sizes for modern trials tires meant to actually be used in trials (as opposed to just a generic "trials" tire plopped on a trail bike) so you don't have to worry about finding something that will fit.

cheers,

Michael

Those are the OEM sizes. Check your rims carefully for cracks while the tires are off. Mine had cracks, and since water sections had left the spokes/nipples pretty corroded I ended up replacing both spokes and rims which is not an inexpensive thing to do. I got a 2.15x18 replacement rear rim (WM3) as that seems to be what the modern bikes are running and it should help to stabilize the tire on the rim a little better.

2.75x21 and 4.00x18 are the standard sizes for modern trials tires meant to actually be used in trials (as opposed to just a generic "trials" tire plopped on a trail bike) so you don't have to worry about finding something that will fit.

cheers,

Michael

Hello Michael

Where have you been ?

I've been sidetracked with other projects and hadn't been checking TC but I have been recently thinking about how I need to get the KT or Sherpa T going. I need a less expensive project right now and since I've got all kinds of new parts on hand for those bikes they don't need any money thrown at them.

Roadracing and machine tool projects sure can suck up the cash! :wall:

cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael, that's very helpful

Will definately check the rims as suggested when fitting the new tyres.....hopefully they're ok as I could do without the expense of new rims and spokes. I take it you are States side of the pond. What's it like getting hold of spares for the KT over there? I see there's a company (BikeBandit), in California I think, that seems to have pretty much all of the OEM parts available for this model. Do you know of any others?

Cheers

Simon

AFAIK BikeBandit is just an Internet place that has items drop-shipped and doesn't actually stock parts. If a Kawasaki dealer can't get it, they can't either. Plus, you have to watch their parts numbers because they use their own, even if showing you an OEM parts fiche. The Kawasaki website has got manuals and parts fiche for the old bikes and will give you current parts numbers (and possibly availability info too).

I think Kawasaki is out of KT rod kits, but you can use a later KX kit with a spacer under the cylinder. I run a Wiseco piston for an early CR250 in mine and I think it was just about an exact match. Bob Ginder at B&J has/had a few OEM parts and makes some replacement things like foam airfilter elements for the OEM airbox. I got the spokes and Excel rims from Buchanan in SoCal; they are a big wheel shop that has been around for decades.

Watch eBay. I picked up a NOS sparkbox for "just in case" a while back and there are occasionally other KT parts put up or bikes being broken for parts.

http://kawasakikt.tripod.com/index-4.html

has a lot of info and links to people who've replicated some stock parts.

http://www.eurospares.com/kt250.htm is the KT page on my website.

The best course is probably to not be a restorer and then you can put anything on that works and is available! :wall: You can probably find a lot of stuff locally.

cheers,

Michael

Thanks again Michael for your help

It looks like it's going to be pretty damn difficult to restore the bike to original condition like I originally intended. Regular service items like brake shoes, air filters etc seem to be quite readily available but many parts just aren't out there.

I know that for some people part of the fun in restoring is tracking down and obtaining the bits you need but when nearly everthing you want has to be made from scratch it can get a bit tedious, not to mention expensive. Anyway, at least the bike is pretty much original and useable at the moment so will just have some fun with it for a while then save the serious restoration as a retirement project.

Cheers

Simon

I have the KX rod CR piston and spacer in my KT Jamieson. The stroke is 3mm longer. B&J Racing in TN did the work and Ginder also makes a special carb needle that really makes them pull. Uni-Filter makes a good foam air filter for them too. Make sure to build a skidplate for it for England...Those cases are vulnerable to rocks and the stock mesh is a joke . I see you put longer shocks on it too. Watch your swingarm where the chain crosses over the top of it as it may rub when you decellerate. I used a piece of a truck mudflap wrapped around the end of the swingarm. With the stroker set-up you will outpull all but the strongest TYs(other strokers). If you want to save your stock gas tank I run a lime green, 125 Honda Elsinore tank that is plastic and fits well from Clarke Mfg. I think the # is 1336. No more rust problems or crash worries mate.

Thanks for the info on the Clarke mfg tank it looks to be a similar shape to the KT tank. Think I'll get one along with some reproduction side panels, which I'll get sprayed the same colour, and save the original tank for when I sell the bike on (if I ever sell it!). Will also try wrapping a bit of mudflap round the swinging arm.

Cheers :thumbup: