Who Will Be First Rider To Take The Title From Bou?

funtrials

I'm talking about taking the title from him, not just beating him at one round (Cabby did that indoor, this year, actually.)

As riders get away from 22/23 years old (Bou's age, not surprisingly) they generally get a bit worse each year, slowly of course. So not Cabby, not Raga, not Fuji, not Dougie, as they are older than Bou.

Fajardo is roughly the same age as Bou, so he's got a shot, but he finished 7th today, so I'm not too confident.

James Dabill is maybe only a tad younger than Bou, but as great as he is he would have to make an unrealistically large improvement?

Wigg is younger, and phenomenal, but has too much ground to make up.

I see at least a record EIGHT world titles, barring injury, for senor Bou, and no, I didn't used to work for the Psychic Friends Network. This would make him the greatest ever. Sorry Dougie, sorry Jordi.

It will probably be many years away, such as young Pol Tarres (Jordi's nephew?), if he really takes off. Gubian is the only Champ class rider that i can see has any chance whatsoever? Or maybe a rider who's too young to even be on the world stage yet! Seriously, Bou is that good.

Many really great future riders, such as the 16 year old Bou, or the 16 year old Fajardo, or Dougie at 16-17, or the 16 year old Diego Bosis (not sure there were younger classes back then, but he was still great at 16 years old) skipped the younger classes and went straight to Champ class because they were simply that great at that young age. Not sure I see anyone right now who's that good, or we'd see a 16-17 year old in the top 13 in champ class, no?

Schumacher, Arnold, Armstrong, Tarres, Dougie....Bou beats them all with eight world titles, and will be possibly the greatest ever (by that measure at least)?

Your thoughts?

Edited by Funtrials

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Your argument is persuasive barring the "fly in the ointment" facet. By that I mean, is it possible that Bou's successor isn't on the scene yet, or at least not visibly so?

On the same or similar theme I was wondering last night what will happen to Toni when Honda finally pull the plug? That moment isn't too far away. With no further production there's no more motivation for Honda to continue in the WTC, so where will Toni go?

... is it possible that Bou's successor isn't on the scene yet, or at least not visibly so?

My guess is probably some rider who's incredible skills haven't come out yet. Say some kid who's "only" 3rd or 4th place in the youth class, but who really focuses on trials from now on, just got into the sport recently - so it's not apparent how good he is, and takes Bou after Bou starts to relatively "fade" as world trials champs inevitably do when they become around 27-28 years old or so. But I don't know.

Maybe young Jorge Casales: he won the Youth Class of the European Championship series last round by an incredible FORTY FOUR POINTS. He got 4th at (I think) his very first World Round Youth Class last week in Spain. Can you say "potential"? He's from Spain....so that's gotta count for somethin'!

Or yes, even someone who hasn't ridden even one FIM round so far....14-15 years old, probably riding a trials BICYCLE right now around Barcelona or Yorkshire, who maybe hasn't even heard of the name "Toni Bou".

Edited by Funtrials

With no further production there's no more motivation for Honda to continue in the WTC, so where will Toni go?

One things for sure, there are some team managers writing lengthy motivation memos to their GMs for greatly increased expenditure next (?) year.

Oh, I meant extra expenditure to sign Bou when Honda pull out. It'll be a riot watching the teams competing to sign him.

Tim, I am afraid that you are mistaken.

Montesa/Honda have said that the World Team will continue and that production will resume on the 4RT (once the overstock is sold off) and a new updated model is in the works.

As for who will topple Bou....I say he goes undefeated this year.

Edited by Martin Belair

Tim, you are mistaken. Montesa/Honda have stated that the World Team will continue and that production will resume on the 4RT (once the overstock is sold off) and a new updated model is in the works.

Damn, I have nothing against Bou and Montesa but I hate Honda.

Why?

Would you rather they ignore our sport? Like Suzuki, KTM, Aprillia, Kawasaki, Husqvarna etc....do?

Because if Honda can't win they'll complain to the FIM until the rules are changed so that they can win. Witness the 4T rules.

I would rather see trials consisting of small, bespoke, manufacturers who genuinely care about their customers and their wants, needs and desires as opposed to the likes of Honda who tell us, in no uncertain terms, what we need or want.

Because if Honda can't win they'll complain to the FIM until the rules are changed so that they can win. Witness the 4T rules.

I would rather see trials consisting of small, bespoke, manufacturers who genuinely care about their customers and their wants, needs and desires as opposed to the likes of Honda who tell us, in no uncertain terms, what we need or want.

What 4T rule? There never was a 4T rule.

Everybody complains to the FIM.

Interesting view Tim, I'd say we need them all. I can't talk about what Honda do or don't do at the FIM level but suffice to say if we continue to want a choice we need a big money player or two in market place. Very few small independant team have the money to invest hugely in the new technologies that will drive the sport forward.

Every year we see a new iteration of the Gasser or the Beta or the Sherco or whatever, the last ground breaking change we've seen is the Sherco juggling where everything is but before that the 4RT was the biggest step forward since watercooling, twin disk, monoshocks and the monocoque style frame and with the exception of the frame none of them were new technology. The next step is the Ossa but if that doesn't sell how long is the bank going to fund that development, I think we need them all and i'd love to see yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki getting back into the game either on their own or in collusion with others. We're too small a market to want someone to pull out.

As for Toni, might be another couple of years but someone will get there.

Edited by Slapshot 3

No there never was a 4t rule in trials it was a decision by Honda to go all 4t nothing trials specific. Now whilst you may have inside knowledge of the fim in switzerland trials cannot do without any manufacturer big or small, whatever personal preferences we all have.