Fuel Consumption 2-stroke Vs 4-stroke

luct4

Hello

i was wondering iff a 2-stoke needs more fuel to ride the same track as a 4-stroke trial.

I had a Rev 3 4-stroke and ride now a Rev 3 2-stroke and think that the 2-stoke

fuel consumpion is a lot more. Is that correct?

Greathings

luc (the belgium rider)

My experience of the Rev3s would have to be that they use quite a bit more fuel than anything else, mind you a fair amount of that is from the overflows :wacko:

When we go trailriding the guys on betas normally take & use 3litres of extra fuel where my sherco 290 comes back with 1 of the 2litres extra still in my pack :D

Guess it depends on the bike & rider really

My mate always had to keep an eye on his fuel in his 4rt. Not sure on how much a 4rt standard tank holds but me Gasser 300 seemed to go further or i just worried less.

I would guess a 4 stroke should be better than a 2 stroke. I believe some lorries back in the eighties were 2 strokes.

I still need to modify the overflow and see iff that's realy going to help.

I have noticed that the fuel consumption from my Rev 3 2 stroke

was mutch more than the GG off my friend.

My mate always had to keep an eye on his fuel in his 4rt. Not sure on how much a 4rt standard tank holds but me Gasser 300 seemed to go further or i just worried less.

I would guess a 4 stroke should be better than a 2 stroke. I believe some lorries back in the eighties were 2 strokes.

Those two bikes are exactly the same as what me and my mate ride, the 4RT has a tiny tank of 2.1 Litres, and the gas gas of his has a 3.2 Litre tank. When we both go out for the same amount of time if I say stick in a litre to top up he's putting almost a litre and a half in to top up. The problem with, as you say "Keeping your eye on the fuel" in a 4 RT doesnt lie in it not being good on fuel its because it has a small tank and with it being electonic fuel injection and therefore having a pump, there is no reserve so you get no warning at all it just dies. Whereas on a two stroke you have a nice reserve setting on the fuel tap which is always enough to get you back. Personally id like to see just a small LED fuel warning light on the new 4RT it wouldnt take much in weight or technology.

On trials engines because the two strokes arnt high revers, the difference is not that great, all the modern bikes have tiny tanks,and all last about 2 hours, having said that my betas allways seemed quite thirsty..

I have a gasser 300 and its way better than the Beta 250/270`s i had. I think the carbs are or was poor even after mods. Montesa 315r had a small tank yet i did ok on the jackwood and scott managing to get to fuel stops with out using the spare 500ml can i carried.