How To Start Competing In Trials

thedodge

Hi Everyone,

I have done a few searches on the forum but can't find a how to on starting competing in the sport, maybe i'm looking in the wrong place tho.

As a bit of background i'm 30yo and have got hold of a Gas Gas TXT02, the edition model not the pro. The bike came from a friend who works in the desert on oil refineries and when he's back he rides motorcross so the Gas Gas was getting no use. My last bike was a suzuki ts185 when i was 17 and i did woodland trails etc

I have stripped it down and done the usual things, chain and sprox, fork seals, cleaned out the carb, bled the lines etc and have done about six hours practise on it now. The bike runs good and it was great to work on aside from a few seized fastners.

Where i ride is very undulating with some sleep climbs and narrow routes, am at the stage now where i can do steep climbs, ruts, lift the front wheel over obsticals, i can clear an 12inch dia log with the wheelie and hop over method.

I am a firm believer in that you learn by doing and that you progress at a rate directly related to your environment so i'm keen on competing in a trial :wacko:

As for kit i have a full face mx helmet with acu gold star(i wanted teeth protection at this stage) jersey and mx pants, trials gloves, some old vendramini trials boots and a textile armoured jacket. I have jerry cans, tyre inflator,a stand and a van to put it all in.

So for the questions:

Is there any equipment i am missing out on that i'll need?

Also how and where do i acquire a license to compete and what do i need to prove to get this license?

Do i need to be a member of a club to get a license?

Can anyone recommend a club in or near the wirral area? I don't mind travelling a bit.

P.s. Sorry for the war and peace first post :thumbup:

Any advice would be really appreciated,

Thanks,

Roger TheDodge

Best to get a Trials helmet as it is lighter and gives way better visability as you need to look down unlike Mx looking forward mainly.

You can down load the ACU licence application from the ACU web site or turn up and join a club and ask for a form. The trials can be found on here main page or on google TMX WHATS ON.

You have enough to start with but long term Trials clothing helmet and boots give best performance. Just go and chill out as its just a bunch of nice folk riding for fun and no doubt give you some help and advice.

Edited by smalley250

well your on the right track.. if you've a bike, boots, gloves and a helmet then you can ride a trial, you'll need to join a club (acu) and when you do so ask for a trials registration form (licence by another name) you'll need a passport sized photo to go with this and your debit card details give the completed form to the clubsecretary and in less than a fortnight you should have your 'licence and your set to compete.

to compete arrive in good time ( an hour before the start) fill in the entry form show your 'licence' get a number and your off..

Thanks guys,

I'll have a surf to see if i can find anything happening locally this weekend and go for a look. Will look at some more trials specific kit when the budget allows :thumbup:

Many Thanks,

Roger

So i can run the event without first getting the licence? Or just a bit of practice? If i can run the event i'll need to make a number plate up tomorrow as i've got the light unit fitted at the moment.

Either way i'll see you there :thumbup:

Yes that was me. Been meaning to post a thank you to Les for steering me in the right direction (no pun intended :thumbup: ) and to pete and his mate on the vintage machines who walked me through the sections and first lap and gave me plenty of pointers through out the day.

Met plenty of friendly people all day so couldn't have hoped for a better day really :wacko:

As for the riding it was a mixed bag of nerves, school boy errors and the occasional clean, i did enjoy all of the sections though and there was nothing i really didn't want to try so as a beginner the whites were challenging but not soul destroying. Probably helped being a dry day tho.

All in all i had a blast so just need to get a proper lid and a lot more practise in.

A final thanks to all who had patience while i dragged the often inverted gas gas out of the section.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I also live on the Wirral and just bought a Gas Gas TXT Pro Raga to play on and maybe do a few novice trialsin the not too distant future.... need to practice and get usedto the bike 1st though :-)

Drop me a PM if you're interested in acquiring a new buddy to practice with!!

Cheers

Jez