Montesa-honda Halt Production Of 4rt

marlintec

Montesa-Honda halt production of 4RT and command dealers to stop selling units.

Dealers in Spain received on thursday the order to stop selling 4RT. The communication relates also that the production of units has been halted. It does not explain the reason but insist to remember to all clients on the obligated starting with throttle completly closed and waiting two minutes at idle before going. In few days they will communicate the countermeasures.

As a 4RT owner I feel quite worry about this. I know that the delay of october was due to a change in the kickstarter (it touched on chassis and was re-molded), but this new seems to be more important. I do not imagine what could be the problem because I have had only eight excellent hours on the bike.

JM.

Yes the information is true, but don't worry. NO PROBLEM. Only could be a small problem in some bikes (do you know the "maniatic" Japanese....)

I could tell you that all the friends with the new 4RT (more than 20) and myself have no problem with this.

They recommend starting with throttle completly closed, and wait about 2 minutes....and this is completly different than a 2 T.

So, enjoy your riding, and don't worry. It's only a quality control.

I've heard rumours about I-Honda :)

A group of them malfunctioned and were found breaking in to the Sherco factory. The machines claimed they were protecting their future.

Honda have warned existing owners that if the headlight goes red, get off quick, and move away from the bike.

In a separate incident, an order for a 4RT was received from a Mr Brian Curran, and the machine in question automatically self destructed in order to protect the rest of mankind.

Montesa-Honda halt production of 4RT and command dealers to stop selling units.

Dealers in Spain received on thursday the order to stop selling 4RT.  The communication relates also that the production of units has been halted.  It does not explain the reason but insist to remember to all clients on the obligated starting with throttle completly closed and waiting two minutes at idle before going.  In few days they will communicate the countermeasures.

As a 4RT owner I feel quite worry about this.  I know that the delay of october was due to a change in the kickstarter (it touched on chassis and was re-molded), but this new seems to be more important.  I do not imagine what could be the problem because I have had only eight excellent hours on the bike.

JM.

Hope it's not as serious as the BMW scenario with their new K1200S Superbike, which was launched last Sept/Oct and within 10 days BMW AG ordered dealers to stop anybody riding the demo bikes.........

Reason - Faulty Camshafts, not being hardened properly by a 3rd Party manufacturer.

Solution - re-crate all bikes back up and send all worldwide supplies back to Germany for re-assembly ..............very costly !!!!!!

Postpone re-launch until sometime in 2005..................a Marketing nightmare

Hope the 4RT doesn't suffer the same fate............however Honda doesn't always get it right............the new STX1300 Pan European Tourer had to have some dramatic modifications Post - launch to sump and frame/engine mounts

Please note Trials Central have had nothing official on this yet. It is only hearsay from forum members and should not be considered either official or valid until such time as an official statement is released.

In a separate incident, an order for a 4RT was received from a Mr Brian Curran, and the machine in question automatically self destructed in order to protect the rest of mankind.

It'll never happen, there's tons of well hard '05 Beta's queueing up to be thrashed, bounced and abused by yours truly :)

I've been asked by Caroline to pass this on:

I have been made aware of a thread on Trials Central which details a Halt in

production of the MONTESA Cota 4RT.

This is NOTHING to worry about. 1 bike at HRC is affected - it involves the way the bike is started (and if the ECU is not allowed to set itself before the throttle is opened). Something which all my Dealers have the correct information with regard to same. The ECU sensor tests atmospheric pressure and if the Throttle is opened too soon is therefore not set correctly.

HRC have very HIGH levels of Quality control and in instances of minor run errors will HALT production as a matter of course. This we have to accept, this is their way as their aim is to produce an excellent and without comparison Trials motorcycle.

The matter is expected (and I am assured) to be resolved today - There is NOTHING to worry about.

Caroline Sandiford Braybrook

Director

James Sandiford (Motorcycles) Ltd.

Montesa UK and Solus Honda CR Dealer

The ECU sensor tests atmospheric pressure and if the Throttle is opened too soon is therefore not set correctly.

Sorry to be cynical but:

No doubt this is a minor issue but what would happen if someone blips the throttle or rides off straight after the bike is started from cold.

Lets face riders are human and how many of us obey the instructions laid down in the bike handbooks on starting/warming up by the letter .

What will happen 2 years down the line when the bikes have been sold on to a 2nd or 3rd owner and they dont read the instructions before starting the bike?

Are Honda (sorry Montesa) coming out with a revised ECU sensor on all future bikes & will this be retro-fitted to all current bikes if requested?

Edited by g4321

This would explain why certain induviduals experienced plug fouling problems. In automotive computers a certain amount of learning is required until the machine adapts to temperature, atmospheric pressure and humidity which is called "relative air density" Unless you can make the entire earth the same "r.a.d." the adaptability of fuel injection systems is needed. Once the ECM figures out these factors on a given machine it should perform perfectly. Since the Montesa 4rt has no battery it will most likely store these "adapts" in what's called Non volotile memory which will be retained in the absence of voltage supply, i.e. when the bike is shut off. Long story short, this just isn't a problem! Only a piece of information for new bike owners. Hysterical snap judgments are not appropriate here.

I agree. Society today seems to have a cow every time some little announcement is made. The press do most of it by blowing every damned thing out of proportion.

Surely everyone else gets sick of this too???? I really don't care whether Prince bloody Harry wants to dress up as a stormtrooper. Freddie Star did it for years and everybody ****ed themselves at him. If he starts gassing people we should get a bit upset, but for now he's just a silly boy.

If Honda see fit to stop production for a while in order to rectify a problem, then good on 'em. Better than wasting time and money making 'em then fixing 'em, they probably just concentrated on another production line for a few days. Seems highly adaptable to me.

And if there's something wrong with my new bike (if I had one) I'd be out getting the most of it, before Honda decide to replace it with a shiny new one (and lets face it, I'd feel safer with a Honda warranty than any other).