Where Are All The Classic Entries?

pete_scorpa3

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen the provisional results and it looks like tow riders have cleaned the easy route and six have cleaned the hard route...... all on Twin shocks, so I guess the severity was about right for the Classics and perhaps just a little too easy for the Twin shocks.

We are just double checking the different classes and the results will be available shortly.

Pete

Results HERE.

Following a couple of conversations today, it seems that the clarity of the machine eligibility for the Sammy Miller Series has again thrown some question into the results.

Pete - I can only find last years results on the Stratford site now so I am guessing they have been removed whilst the issues are cleared up?

Essentially the issue as I see it is this.....

At the start of this year it was decided that the Pre-unit class would run on the easy route and that any riders wishing to ride the hard route would have to ride in the British Replica class. My own understanding is that the British Replica class is for British bikes that do not comply with the 'original British manufacture' rules for the respective 2 stroke and unit classes.

Although I am not certain, I assume that this class (like the British Specials class at most events) was designed to cater for this bikes running frames like McDonald Cubs, Mills BSA's etc or using foreign carbs in order to keep the main classes original and a level playing field.

I ride a Mills frames BSA and find it runs much better on a DelOrto carb, I therefore chose to leave the carb on and ride in the Brit Replicas class. I could have left the Amal carb on and rode in the Unit class and I doubt whether anyone would have made any comment (certainly my friend rode his Mills framed BSA with AMAL carb in the Unit class at the 1st round)

Now that's the logical thinking that seems to work, however the actual definition of eligibility states that the bikes should have 'All major components including frame, forks,

engines & gearboxes to be a silhouette of British manufactured parts' and this is where interpretation comes in as this weekend the organising club have decided that non original frames or are not a silhouette of a British manufactured part and therefore these bikes were placed in the twin shock class. No mention of carb's so that wouldn't have made any difference anyway.

As the precedent had been set to include these bikes in the first two rounds it seems counter intuitive to now remove them at round 3.

Whilst I understand the thinking here, I would then have to question what should actually be included in that British Replicas class if the definition is applied literally. Surely all the recently manufactured James or Francis Barnett frames should now be included in the Replicas class as they are not original yet are a silhouette of the original.

If I have to live with the decision to exclude my bike from this class and that of Martyn Wilmore (as we were lying 1st and 2nd in the class 9 championship before this weekend) then so be it, but surely we should also see the gang on the new James or Francis Barnett frames moved from the 2 stroke class to the Replicas class if we are being consistent in the application of the rules?

I now understand that this will be debated at a forthcoming ACU trials committee meeting and I wait with baited breath to see what the outcome of that discussion looks like

Dave, the link to the results works ok for me, but as you say things may still need to be sorted out. Thankfully that job does not fall to me but I will update this thread if I hear more.

The provisional award winners are:

Union Jack Trophy Brad Jones 175 BSA

The Sam Cooper Trophy Mick Grant 500 Ariel

Englebach Trophy Barry Stephens 350 BSA

Two-stroke Cup Peter Gaunt 175 BSA

Shell Cup Mike Barton 500 AJS

Sidecar Cup Mark Kemp/Bob Chapman 500 Ariel

Ralph Varden Shield Peter Dale/Barry Pocock 500 Triumph

Twin shock Sidecar Darren Dredge/Gary Hewlett 300 Fantic

Twin shocks Philip Wiffen 300 Fantic

Trail bikes Rob Faulkner 175 Yamaha

Following a couple of conversations today, it seems that the clarity of the machine eligibility for the Sammy Miller Series has again thrown some question into the results.

Pete - I can only find last years results on the Stratford site now so I am guessing they have been removed whilst the issues are cleared up?

Essentially the issue as I see it is this.....

At the start of this year it was decided that the Pre-unit class would run on the easy route and that any riders wishing to ride the hard route would have to ride in the British Replica class. My own understanding is that the British Replica class is for British bikes that do not comply with the 'original British manufacture' rules for the respective 2 stroke and unit classes.

Although I am not certain, I assume that this class (like the British Specials class at most events) was designed to cater for this bikes running frames like McDonald Cubs, Mills BSA's etc or using foreign carbs in order to keep the main classes original and a level playing field.

I ride a Mills frames BSA and find it runs much better on a DelOrto carb, I therefore chose to leave the carb on and ride in the Brit Replicas class. I could have left the Amal carb on and rode in the Unit class and I doubt whether anyone would have made any comment (certainly my friend rode his Mills framed BSA with AMAL carb in the Unit class at the 1st round)

Now that's the logical thinking that seems to work, however the actual definition of eligibility states that the bikes should have 'All major components including frame, forks,

engines & gearboxes to be a silhouette of British manufactured parts' and this is where interpretation comes in as this weekend the organising club have decided that non original frames or are not a silhouette of a British manufactured part and therefore these bikes were placed in the twin shock class. No mention of carb's so that wouldn't have made any difference anyway.

As the precedent had been set to include these bikes in the first two rounds it seems counter intuitive to now remove them at round 3.

Whilst I understand the thinking here, I would then have to question what should actually be included in that British Replicas class if the definition is applied literally. Surely all the recently manufactured James or Francis Barnett frames should now be included in the Replicas class as they are not original yet are a silhouette of the original.

If I have to live with the decision to exclude my bike from this class and that of Martyn Wilmore (as we were lying 1st and 2nd in the class 9 championship before this weekend) then so be it, but surely we should also see the gang on the new James or Francis Barnett frames moved from the 2 stroke class to the Replicas class if we are being consistent in the application of the rules?

I now understand that this will be debated at a forthcoming ACU trials committee meeting and I wait with baited breath to see what the outcome of that discussion looks like

The new classes always were going to cause problems, and its a shame its come to a head at this event which,in my opinion is the best in the series. My guess is that before the start of the event,the club were probably not aware of the negative impact the changes would have,even though relatively few people are affected by them, now it is dominated by Trail bikes and Twinshocks.

If the rules remain,perhaps the club should consider continuing without help from the series sponsor in the future,reverting to classes which encourage the bikes that the event was started for in the first place.

More importantly,someone (or commitee if you want to share the blame) dreamt up the class changes,and despite my earlier post,nobody has responded,which to me has all the hallmarks of the ACU.

The changes were done for a reason, and the only one that comes to mind,was to discourage some of the pre unit entrants.