2003 Sherco 290

tezza

Hi Guys, this is my first post, after 10 years or road racing I have turned to trials, I have bought a 290 sherco and im having problems with my gears, It seems to jump from 3rd to 5th, no 4th gear ! no crunching or anything, the box is as smooth as a trials bike box can be so its riding like its only 5 speed, please dont tell me they only have 5 gears :rolleyes:

Any help much appreciated.

Terry

Hi Guys, this is my first post, after 10 years or road racing I have turned to trials, I have bought a 290 sherco and im having problems with my gears, It seems to jump from 3rd to 5th, no 4th gear ! no crunching or anything, the box is as smooth as a trials bike box can be so its riding like its only 5 speed, please dont tell me they only have 5 gears :rolleyes:

Any help much appreciated.

Terry

I think they only have five gears :thumbup:

Well what do you know, lol 5 speed eh ! my mate has a 280 gasgas and its 6 speed, the thought my sherco should be the same. Well im glad it's ok :rolleyes: its just that 4th is very tall, Ill check my sprocket, whats the best way to go, 1 off the front or 3 on the back to make 4th usable ?

Thanks for help.

Well what do you know, lol 5 speed eh ! my mate has a 280 gasgas and its 6 speed, the thought my sherco should be the same. Well im glad it's ok :rolleyes: its just that 4th is very tall, Ill check my sprocket, whats the best way to go, 1 off the front or 3 on the back to make 4th usable ?

Thanks for help.

9t front, 42t rear works pretty well.

I had sort of the same issues on my '03 290, as there is a large gap between 3 and 4 gears, and working them on the loop can be dodgey.

I tried the 9T on the front, but it took too much off the first three and I used 2 and 3 for everything.

Going back to the 10 front and going to 44 rear seemed the best trade and still kept 1 usable and made 5 more usable on fast trails.

the math on the ratios :

10/42= 4.2:1

9/42= 4.66:1 Big change!

10/44= 4.4:1 Right in the middle!

For some reason, the '06 and up bikes seen to have better low end torque to pull the standard gearing without much issue. The '03 I had was a bit pipey!

:rolleyes:

Always better to go up the rear than down on the front, you'll go through front sprockets in no time if you go smaller

If my memory is correct the 03 had lower internal gearing than some of the later bikes in the lower gears which made the 3rd to 4th gap quite large, my 04 jarvis has a lot taller 1st,2nd & 3rd than the 01 I had before it & because of that I'd never consider trying to use 4th in a section without airbrakes & a parachute