Montesa 242

bambam_n_chunx

Hello again, if anyone can remember I have a 242 mont that was in need of an engine rebuild. That has been done and the engine is back in the bike.

I`m having real problems setting the timing tho, its got a nice fat spark and sucks petrol through spot on but ive only managed to have it running once and it backfired and snapped the woodruff key.

I`m finding it really hard to measure the timing through the plug hole as its on the side of the squish band and seems to be at TDC for longer than it should.

Anybody know an easy way of setting the timing on these bikes or is it just a case of trial and error.

I`m aiming for a 0.38 inch contact gap and the points to open 2.5mm BTDC. Is this right or am I miles off.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

I made a timing tool by hollowing out an old spark plug and drilling and tapping a 5mm thread in the side. I got a piece of ally dowel and a kind engineer friend marked it off in 2mm increments. The ally dowel is approx 75mm long and fits through the centre of the old plug body. It can easily tell you where tdc is and 2.5mm before. I believe they are available commercially (ebay ect) but I found it simple and great fun to make. Will gladly send you a photo if required.

Regards, John.