Fantic 200 156cc Piston Ring

stevecarter1000

I have a fantic 156cc engine (with a 125cc bottom end) in an 80cc frame....

It needs a new piston ring - I've heard the term 'Dykes' Piston Ring and wondered what this is? Also, is there an obvious way to tell whether the piston is std or oversize? I've also heard of a suzuki piston being fitted - what is the difference and benefit compared to a Fantic piston please?

All help gratefully received - cheers.

Steve

Gday, I cant help with the ring, but a rule of thumb is that if the rod side clearance is getting over 20 thou, its time to rebuild the crank. You may be able to find an accurate specification somewhere on the net. To measure it just slip larger and larger feeler gauges in between the rod and the crank until you can no longer get one in. The largest one that fits is the side clearance.

Cheers,

Stork.

I have a fantic 156cc engine (with a 125cc bottom end) in an 80cc frame....

It needs a new piston ring - I've heard the term 'Dykes' Piston Ring and wondered what this is? Also, is there an obvious way to tell whether the piston is std or oversize? I've also heard of a suzuki piston being fitted - what is the difference and benefit compared to a Fantic piston please?

All help gratefully received - cheers.

Steve

Dykes rings are "L" shaped rather than a "--" shape in the slot, quickly spotted, usually on top groove! Just need to look at things and measure the piston accurately with a micrometer to see the exact size to compare specs and hopefully figure out what you have. :thumbup:

The Fantic 125cc engine was modified by a guy in Wales years ago and fitted with a TS185 piston and I think a cast liner in the barrel. Fantics generally had chrome bores at the time.

I had one of these bikes and the engine was very flat and had none of the zip the Fantic 200 had.

Thats all I can say about the bike I had great for anything that didnt involve a big climb.

• 8 months later...