Pre-65 Scottish Regulations

duckwizard

Can someone please confirm what items are legal for pre65 scottish.

I am rebuilding my cub at present and would like to keep within these regulations.

i hope at some time in the future to compete in the event.

I know I am stirring up a hornets nest but I need to know.

• 2 weeks later...

Very good point RS.

My otter framed B40 with pretty standard mechanicals is excluded, but I know of a Cub that is being prepared at the moment that has every trick component imaginable being fitted. Obviously these are well disguised eg fork internals etc.

However. it comes at a price, reputedly

to introduce a specials class, which required twin shock rear suspension, and original crankcases to be used.

They are always oversubscribed at the moment for entries so it is unlikely another class is ever going to be required. The only way someone can check for 'trick fork internals' is to strip the forks of every bike, no doubt there are plenty trick fork internals out there on P65 Scottish bikes but there is a limit to what can be picked up on by the scruitineers. Simple things such as Jap or Italian carbs, modern forks & wheel hubs are easy to catch!

Actually its very easy to detect modern fork internals, as the diameter of the stanchions of modern parts will be metric size (generally 35mm) while the dia of authentic pre-65 will be imperial.

HondaRS & Big John know a lot more about these things than me but my comment about modern internals was really about damper assembly & springs.

hopefully this clarifies my previous message.

Gordon

Can i just say i fully and wholeheartedly agree with Honda RS here.

What it needs is a boycott of the Scottish by unit construction bikes. and pre unit if they had any integrety, until the ACU clarify with a set of rules and construction regulations that HAVE to be applied across the board on penalty of a fine and if serious enough the exclusion of the organising club.

It's become a farce. As for difficulty of accessing if forks are "authentic" pre 65 just push the damn things up and down and its obvious. 3" movement verses over 6".

How about spot checks and any bike contraveining the regulations is confiscated and sold off at auction, the proceeds to go to charity.

About as much chance of that lot being accepted as me climbing Pipeline clean!

But it is about time something was done as there soon wont be ANY affordable pre 65 bikes then the class will die when the bikes become so precious they never get used. :angry::D:):hyper:

Talk to someone like Mick Ransome who I think won the 250 class in 1963 on his 250 Francis Barnett, which he still rides today in pretty much the same trim as it was back then. This is surely the true spirit of pre 65 or am I being naive?

Nobody has mentioned the word CHEATING but surely that's what it is if you 'infringe or bend' the rules deliberately by fitting components that are not allowed. The Scottish should surely stand for all that is good about pre 65 and competitors should enter in the true spirit.

Even elementary scrutineering can spot obvious cheats as RS has pointed out.

Either tighten up or open it up!

I understand there is now a comprehenisive list of banned bikes, and parts, in circulation relating to the pre-65 Scottish. I wonder if anyone has a copy of this, as I would love to see it!

I would also like to see it

Vinnied

Me as well :angry: dont think theres much chance of that but you never know there might be a change of heart and openess by the Scottish organising commitee.

wow did you just see that squadron of pigs fly past the window in vee formation? :)

IF, and i say if, it ever becomes available how about Andy keeping it on the site as a reference document for people who dont want to waste their hard earned just for some official with a private agenda to fail their p & j at scrutineering? :D