Flywheel Play...

tom2010

as some of you may already know i've just bought a '97 beta techno 250. It's my first trials bike after a few years riding enduro, and had a quick play on it tonight and rather enjoyed it! pulls well, hopping over rocks etc!

thought i'd give it a good service so got carb off, going to do oil, calipers are both coming off etc

I took the side casing off and there is a bit of play in the flywheel :s I've heard on some bikes this is normal? I don't know whether it is excessively vibey or not as I've only just bought the bike and the engine is so vastly different from the ktm's I'm used to i can't tell if it's rattly or not to be honest! (went to a trial last week and they all sounded rattly!!

just wondering if it's main bearings? or if it's just normal play?

cheers

The main bearings normally start out at clearances(up/down) of .003 in, and I would suspect a wear limit of double that. So point being, as long as they are not excessively noisey and rotate smoothly, I would put an indicator on the flywheel just to get a guage on them. Out that far on the wheel, you might get 010. or so.