Cabestany R

tomfraser

• 3 weeks later...

It looked to me from the pics that they are including the 28 mm carb on these(although mayby not painted red) and these may be a bit of an unknown entity.

Why do you say that Copemech? are they a new sized carb or something, please tell me more as I am worried now that I have ordered one?

I'm pretty sure cope is meaning the dellorto 28mm flatslide may be fitted standard, there doesn't seem to be many people who have used these & the reports on them all seem to be that a keihin or oko are far better carbs

I'm sure there's quite a few of us that will be waiting for your impressions of the bike when it arrives

I'm pretty sure cope is meaning the dellorto 28mm flatslide may be fitted standard, there doesn't seem to be many people who have used these & the reports on them all seem to be that a keihin or oko are far better carbs

I'm sure there's quite a few of us that will be waiting for your impressions of the bike when it arrives

Yes, that is correct. It looks like the 28 VHST carb to me, noth the bog standard PHBL 26. They used to put the Kiehin 28 on the Caby bikes. Even them are finikey.

My impression, for the top lads that want and need more top end power, these things can work for them(although a trade off) and for an average rider, the bog standard PHBL works fine if well tuned. Add very stable if kept clean.

No big deal really, as standard carbs are easy enough to find if you choose. I really hope they have the VHST's worked out, as it would be a nice carb if it had the reliability of its little brother! They are similar, but yet very different at the same time.

I wondering if I've missed something somewhere. The first the VHST review I read said that they were difficult to set up but well worth the effort.

Haven't seen much about this carb since notice a few people say that were not good....but why?

If anyone buys this Cabestany R

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I picked up my Cabestany Replica last night and went straight out on it. To run it in I took it very steady for the first hour and just did quarter throttle stuff. The difference between this bike and my old 02 290 is huge, it is so light and nimble with heaps more traction. I have a section where I practice which I struggle to clean normally but I did on the second attempt on this new bike. So far so good. After about an hour and a half I had a go at a thirty foot tall steep bank which was flat out in third on my old bike, I lined my self up and attempted the climb. When I was half way up and onto full throttle, it was at this point I dissapointed to note that the bike wouldn't rev out and I only made it to the top by the skin of my teeth. At the moment I am putting this down to the engine being a bit tight but I will keep you posted on its development.

I was nearly ready to go home and was going for one more blast, I kicked it over to start it and the bloody kick start snapped off, needless to say I will be going straight back to the shop in the morning to get a replacement ordered for the weekend :rolleyes:

On the whole I am pleased with it however if I am going through kickstarts every two hours I will not be happy!

I have just spoken to the dealer and he has spoken with the importer, they have stated that due to the high compression of the engine and the fact that this is the second kick start to fail on this particular model of bike already, they are going to be supplying a 320 4T kick start! It should be here tomorrow all being well, I will keep on posting updates as they develop.

Edited by MarkMoyer

Well, I picked up my Cabestany Replica last night and went straight out on it. To run it in I took it very steady for the first hour and just did quarter throttle stuff. The difference between this bike and my old 02 290 is huge, it is so light and nimble with heaps more traction. I have a section where I practice which I struggle to clean normally but I did on the second attempt on this new bike. So far so good. After about an hour and a half I had a go at a thirty foot tall steep bank which was flat out in third on my old bike, I lined my self up and attempted the climb. When I was half way up and onto full throttle, it was at this point I dissapointed to note that the bike wouldn't rev out and I only made it to the top by the skin of my teeth. At the moment I am putting this down to the engine being a bit tight but I will keep you posted on its development.

I was nearly ready to go home and was going for one more blast, I kicked it over to start it and the bloody kick start snapped off, needless to say I will be going straight back to the shop in the morning to get a replacement ordered for the weekend :thumbup:

On the whole I am pleased with it however if I am going through kickstarts every two hours I will not be happy!

Varying the revs and putting a load on the motor seems to help break in a new one. A WOT run in gear s 4 and 5 puts load on the motor, not to over rev it neccessarily, just the full working load through the range. This develops maximum pressures and gets some heat in the motor. Then let it cool and do it again.

After an hour or two of play, you should be able to fully rev it out to clean things. I often do this with a bit of a drag race(not on cold motor) and let it rev out fully to see if it will clean out on top.

You probably do not want to do anymore big hill WOT events untill you are fairly sure about the fact that it will clean out and rev out fully with some heat in it, or make a decision to change the jetting on the main because it will not clean out properly. Look at th PROS, the NEVER make a big attempt without clearing the motor! :rolleyes:

Basci thoughts are that 28mm carb should probably require someware near a 125 main jet, similar to the Kiehin, and word to the wize is to do your own little strip and clean on a new bike anyway, just to be sure there is no mfng trash in it! Plus as least know where you are at on the jets. :)

Edited by copemech