Fill In The Blanks

US champ riders or pro's as they are called now.

http://www.rypusa.com/

I have just seen the news, link above, Chris Florin, has moved to GG, and I'm trying to workout who is on what in the champ class for 05, Geoff GG Chris, GG, Cody Sherco, Bruce Sherco, Sean Sherco.

Are Beta, Scorpa, Mont, Fielding any pro class riders this year ?

Could I be U.S. number 6 ranked rider on a 157 Fantic :) .

Ther must be a reason for 50% drop in the pro class from last year.

Is it too expensive in both time and $ to compete in all the rounds.

Are there too many rounds in a country this size.

Should there be some insentives for the pro class riders, like no entry fees for anyone riding the class, or some travel expenses shared by the host club and the NATC, ex amount from each entry fee of the support classes.

I don't know!! but it doesn't look to be thriving from here.

Edited by ishy

I just knew the first response to this thread was going to say something about the 4RT! Sadly, I beleive that it really comes down to economics for today's importer's. A decision has to be made to either spend sponsorship bucks and hope for big sales to re-coup the investment, or help out selected rider's with discounts and let the bike pretty much sell itself. In today's market, who of any of us can say for sure. All I know is, we owe all the importer's a great deal for their continued support of the sport we ALL love, sometimes at their own expense!

I wouldn't want to comment on Chris until we hear from Martin himself! I think also that this comment of Ishy's about the state of things in US nationals has to be re-examined. Entries in the Pro class have been slowly dwindling over the years. Not even enough rider's to make up a top 10 list. Oh and Ish, rather presumptious of you to think that you would finish ahead of me on my 240 Fantic!!!!! :)

Cheers, Steve

The following is a joint Press Release from Martin Belair and Chris Florin.

US Montesa announces that Chris Florin will not be a part of its' national team for 2005. According to US Montesa owner Martin Belair " Chris was in the option year of his contract and was free to negotiate with other brands. He is a top rider and I am sure that there were many people interested in his services, we unfortunately were unable to come to terms. Chris has been riding the new Cota 4RT and I know that he liked it very much, I wish that we could have somehow made it happen. Chris has been a Montesa Team rider since 1997. He has done a great job for us over the years and his departure will leave a great void. We will miss Chris and we wish him good luck on his new team". Martin Belair

To all my friends and fans that have followed me, provided encouragement, and remained true throughout the years, I would like you to know that I am leaving the Montesa team but it is on a positive note because Montesa is what got me where I am today. For this, I will always be grateful to Martin Belair, who has been my sponsor, my coach, my minder, and my friend since I started seriously competing at Nationals in the High School Class in 1997. We have covered a lot of territory together and I will always cherish those memories. Recently, I helped Martin do a press release and a test of the new 2005 four-stroke at the Trials Training Center. The bike looks sleek and rode very impressively. I was also privileged to ride the Cota 4RT in two trials, one at the STRA event in Georgia and the other at an FTA round in Florida. Both days were awesome rides for me and the bike performed really well. Even though my contract with US Montesa has come to an end, please understand that it does not affect the friendship between me and Martin, or any other Montesa riders. But, I have a new sponsor now and I am anxiously looking forward to the start of the new season. Since the rumor appears to already be out, I would just like to confirm that you will see me aboard the 2005 Pro, as I am now riding for Gas Gas USA and Dale Malasek. I look forward to seeing you soon and I wish you the best. Chris Florin

Edited by Martin Belair

I'm going to have to sit on this one a bit.

This is ALL very confusing?

Riders moving down from Pro to Expert last year was confusing?

Low United States rider entries in our own countries World Event was confusing?

No United States National Indoor was confusing?

I know two riders who WANT to compete in Duluth and rules have been laid out to not allow them to ride, This is confusing?

The AMA/NATC board needs to come up with a new plan, or call it the 14 class Support Nationals.

Edited by City Trials

Well Ringo, always stepping up to the plate! This sport needs to have fans following riders like other sports.

You could be the Dick Trickle of United States Trials. May I be your minder/public relations director?

I could line up for you to do a Shopping Cart Demo at the AM/PM Super-Mart in Rice Lake Wisconsin?

Edited by City Trials

No one else mentioned this but I find it extermely bizzare that RYP (SHERCO) is making an GASGAS rider announcement on their website before the GG importer or anyone else for that matter did.......What up with that ?? D :)

Edited by D. Sileo

One thing I have thought about since Ishy first posted this thread. If in fact the Pro class is for "Pro's", who besides the importer's are actually paying them? Unless things have changed drastically, I would guess that you could count on one hand, the rider's who are actuall getting paid to ride! Oh, I must be right, I can count on one hand the amount of riders competing this year!

Would it not be possible for the AMA/Natc for come up with some sort of contingency plan for each event, and in turn the entire series?? Any rider finishing in the top 10 at a National should receive some sort of money. Even if it is down to 10th place winning his entry fee back! This format should be seen as the "base salary" so to speak for the rider's. Like golf, it depends on how well they place as to how much money they make. It would still be up to the individual rider to get other sponsor's to chip in where they can! (ie, importer's, vendor's, private companies etc).

Just some thoughts! Don't call it the "Pro" class anymore if it is not going to pay just about anyone who enters it!

Cheers, Steve

Steve, I just found out this week, due to no champ riders that PNTA will not have a champ class this year.

I have said this before many times if people would stop trying to make the sport something it isn't then it would do better, looks to me it's evolving along those lines as it is.

There is a place for world championships, but trying to gear the sport for one or to riders to make it to the world championships isn't good for the sport.

So what if the sections ease off at national top level, I feel safe to say if they do entries will go up rather than down as they are now.

It should be the same for the local trials, don't make the Expert sections so hard that the local EX ends up with 40 points for 1st place where the other end of the class has over 100! The high points only serve to frustrate the riders who do 3s and 5s for the event, not much fun factor!

I think there is a natural tendency for about any group to make things more advanced/difficult/complicated over time. Part of this comes from the core group of people involved in the activity...they become more skilled and as the most vocal segment of the group, ask for more of what they like, which builds a gulf between themselves and the newest or prospective entrants into the activity. Companies have actually gone out of business because of the behavior (e.g. your core customer isn't always right). The people who aren't able to make the initial jump to the baseline often won't speak up, but will simply disappear.

In our area we did the same thing on a smaller scale a few years back. There were about a half-dozen riders who were getting more proficient, so the sections were geared towards them. We had other sections for the new folks, but they often would ride the "advanced" sections because their buddies were, too. We were fortunate in many respects that no one ever got seriously hurt.

Last year and this year, the emphasis is on keeping the sections fun and safe so as more people in our area learn about trials, they can get involved at our meets without feeling like they have to do the splatters, zaps, etc. their first time out. I think this makes sense, but gets lost over time. I think I've read at least a few posts in the past to this same effect.

Mike