Yamaha Ty80

mrpainter

hi i own a Yamaha Ty80, my bike has sat in the garage for 4 to 5 years with no use what so ever as i grown up and got bigger bikes, but its a shame for it to sit there so therefore i am currently restoring it. Im only 16 so i have limited knowledge on these bikes but when i stripped the bike took carb of petrol tank and so on there was a form of green moss in and around the tank so i cleared it out etc cleaning progress. the carb was terrible and ive never seen one as dirty as this. i cleaned the carb very well and unblocked all passages i.e fuel pipes etc. the bike is now looking well and the spark is very good. the problem is that when i kick the bike it feels like it has a lack of compression and will not start even though fuel is in the carb. when i put petrol down the head it starts for a a very limited amount of time so it cant be the engine can it? air filter is clean and so on.

anyone who as more experience then my self who can help would be very grateful.

Thanks Alex.

The "green moss" is what is left behind when modern petrols evaporate, many years ago petrols used to leve an oily yellow / brown deposit as they evaporated.

As the bike runs for a while when you put petrol in the plug hole this suggests all is OK except the supply of petrol from the carb.

The problem is 99% certain to be the small passages in your jets / carb body that are blocked with the "green moss" and unfortunately it can be very hard to get out. You need to strip out all the jets including pilot (slow running), main, needle, float valve, and starting / choke jet. You can poke them out with fine copper (NOT STEEL - it will damage them) wire. There are also passages in the carb body that have to be cleaned out, use fine copper wire, compressed air and carb cleaner.

If you can't clean it out yourself take it to a carburettor / fuel injector cleaning expert who will have an ultra sonic cleaning tank.

Cheers

Carb cleaner or a good degreaser is better then WD40. That said WD40 will disolve a lot of what you're trying to get rid off. Fresh petrol will also work but a can of carb cleaner is only a few quid from any bike or autoparts shop and well worth it.

Patience not one of your strong points then?!! You'll get plenty of help when folk get home from work, don't worry! ^_^

i know :L sory guys bike seems to be going but with some minor faults such as at times it will tick over then others it wont its just rev the highest it can :/ really annoying me ive spent ages on this bike

Stick with it go over carb again making sure you aint missed owt! failing that you can get a new carb as these little ty80 carbs can wear slide then their a pig to get to idle right. i have just restored one it cost a small fortune new carb slide jets foat valve still was a tw.t to get to run right in the end bought new carb.runs sweet now!

• 6 months later...

how do i GET the mix rite on my ty80???

Take the autolube system off and run pre-mix, this way you know it will always be correct and you save weight too.

You can get a blanking plate and gasket from TYTrials.co.uk

Edited by insultaco

50:1 appears to be the general concensus. Use a good quality castor or semi-synthetic oil (you'll see that oil type is a subject of much debate around this site).

Cheers

Mick

Thank you

50:1 it shall be.

Rejetting required? I just unhooked the injector pump.

Hi. The mix is the same, just the method of delivery that is different when you take off the auto-lube system, so no carb work should be required (not because of this at least...). I've just had to replace the guts of my sons TY80 to get it to stop flooding, it was all very worn and probably original to the bike. It may be worth stripping out all the jets etc and giving them a good clean and inspection before you go further. Use a high pressure air hose and carb cleaner.