Kick Start Shaft Fitment

gronno

I'm having a bit of greif getting a new kick start shaft to fit properly into my 07 200 pro. I'm renewing the usual damaged kick/idle gear as well as the shaft and it's pawl, I understand that the 08 shaft has a quicker helix which helps with the engagement issues (it looks a shallower helix as well). My trouble is that after wressling the shaft assembly spring etc back into the case, which is a mission all on it's own, the pawl cannot drop away far enough to miss the idle gear on the kick start return stroke. It looks to be only a millimetre or so and it would miss it, very frustrating! Any clues? It's driving me mad.

Two things can stop the shaft going fully home; the spring has slipped behind the shaft or worse, one or more of the needles has come out of the bearing. Been there, done that and burnt the T shirt! Jim Snell makes it look so easy in his video.

Ta for the reply, after walking away from it and coming back fesh and unflustered I can see I have assembled the shaft incorrectly, I got that very strong circlip thing the wrong side of the aluminium top hat spring guide, henc ethe loss of about 1mm worth of movement. I did file a small flat off the edge of the top hat in line with the bulge in the crank case where the enging mouning interferes with it which made it a lot easier to wriggle in and out. Yes Jim makes it look very easy. I hope the 08 verison of the shaft leads to a more reliable assembly. I really dread the thought of those little bits swilling around inside the engine. I wonder if it is worth mounting one of those neodymium magnets between the bash plate and the clutch cover to try and catch the bits which come off the gears

http://e-magnetsuk.com/magnet_products/neo...cked_discs.aspx

Edited by Gronno

Glad you've got it sorted; it can be a real pig of a job the first time and I wouldn't want to do it again! Certainly since 2008, and maybe before that, Gas Gas have been using the magnetic drain plug as a filler plug to give double protection from unwanted particles.