4rt Tickover

oz thumper

I know two guys with these bikes and they both run at 1800rpm though like you said they came out of the box running faster. You cannot reduce the tick-over under 1800rom as that is the speed required to produce enough electrical power to run the fuel pump and other systems.

Both these riders however have now changed the gearing through the rear sproket to slow the bike up a bit and are happier.

You cannot reduce the tick-over under 1800rom as that is the speed required to produce enough electrical power to run the fuel pump and other systems.

I bet you can!

Honda will be saying that to be on the safe side, i reckon you could turn it down a fair bit before encountering any problems.

Dont have any means of telling what the rpms are exactly but mine was supposedly set at 1800 and i turned it way down so it had a similar sounding tickover to a two stroke (a lot less than it was) but then gave it a touch of a turn back up as i found i was stalling it a bit more than previous. :)

Thanks Mark, I also have trouble believing the 1800rpm or not enough power story, even my old DOT made the lights glow on tickover!

It is possible that those revs are required to power all lights fan etc to their full capacity.

Noted on a ride this morning (mates bike) that you can pull the revs right down on the brake and it shows no sign of running out of sparks. So will wait until mine arrives and adjust as you have.

Note droping 2 teeth on rear sprocket is the equivalent of 90 revs off tickover, hardly worth the effort.

Hey oz thumper,something seems a bit fishy here.......how did you get Allan off that new bike.

Just offered Allan a ride on a slow moving TLR, then had trouble getting it back! :)

Seriously the tickover issue is that 1800rpm on a trials bike is NOT tickover. The beauty of a slow reliable tickover on a fourstroke is that you can leave the clutch and rear brake alone on slippery downhill stuff, can't do that if the motor is driving.

Note droping 2 teeth on rear sprocket is the equivalent of 90 revs off tickover, hardly worth the effort

this is true but 2 teeth on rear sprocket at say 5000 rpm does about 250 rpm. :)

most people gear down to get a slower bike on all revs not just at tickover, at tickover you often use clutch so not such big problem

if you want the bike to be real slow use a 9 teeth front sprocket