Aprilia Climber Gear Shaft Issue

joseclimber

hello,

My bike is, aprilia climber 240(1994) is spills oil from the gear/kickstart shaft, i think it spills it form between, what could it be?

the other problem is that the gear shaft dislcoates from its place when applying little force on it towards the outside when trying to remove.

please help!

thankyou

jose

If I remember , thier is two o-rings on the shaft to keep oil in. You have to remove the whole cover and there is a wound spring held in pla

ce by that big nut below the engine. Be careful as it almost got my eye the first one I did. It has been too long to give proper advice.

• 1 year later...

I just picked up a '94 Climber and was going through it... pulled the kicker and shifter off and clutch cover to check on the clutch, and noticed "play" in the shifter shaft and started tugging on it lightly.

Thought it was very odd that it would come out far enough that a smaller diameter portion of the shaft was visible and would let it rock around. Moved it in and out a few times and it finally just came all the way out.

I checked the manual as described above... it shows two orings, a C-clip, and a thrust washer... The clip seems obvious - goes in a groove... but where to the Orings go exactly? Kinda vague in the manual, and nothing specifically noticeable that holds them in place on the shaft.

Bike is on its side full of oil to inspect the clutch... Going to button it back up and flip it over and hope theres a case cover on the other side for easy access... (I've only had it in my possession three days so my memory is lacking on the right side design.)

Also, just for fun... is the allen bolt the oil drain, or the hex head bolt?

and just WHERE is the oil fill? Someone mentioned its hard to find (and it is) but didn't say where it was...

Decided to call Mike at the Tryals Shop and order some fork seals ($16) and front brake pads ($21) and ask for advice at the same time... Super helpful fella - hes told me that the entire kickstart assembly will come out as a whole on the later models (i have a '94 - purple, red seat, gray side covers, hydraulic clutch) by removing the clutch basket and the left side case cover...

Very happy to hear this - going to give it a go tonight and report back. Maybe this info will be useful to someone years down the road as there seems to be little published info on these bikes.

Mikes contact info / website:

http://www.tryalsshop.com/

(315) 947-2904

Edited by nanotech9

quick update...

popped the side cover off, pulled the kick shaft off did a bit of fishing and found the two o-rings, the c-clip, and the thrust washer down in the bottom of the right case half... flattened them back out and decided that the circlip is the weak link...

added some thin safety wire to wire it closed. checked for clearance and problems and it looks like it'll work OK.

Added a groove in the outer end of the shift rod to hold an extra o-ring to prevent dirt and water from entering the space between it and the kick shaft.

re-assembeled. the starter spring isn't too hard... had to think about it a bit. Made a video of the re-installation process and will post it and pictures soon.