Throttle Problems?

itsallgravy

Any time I open my throttle fully it stays wide open. It wont go back to its starting position by itself?

I have checked the throttle cable and its grand, no problems. I also checked the carb for any blockages which may be causing this but its perfect?

Any one had this problem? Bike is a 2003 Sherco 125.

Hi

Check that the throttle is not jamming on wide open. mine was worn and the cam with the cable running inthe groove use to hook up, but only when opened hard, as you do with engine not running. Riding it never caused a problem. good luck

Pete

The MOST COMMON cause for all this would be dirt or grime on the throttle slide itself causing binding. This usually comes from a wash through of dirt and grit that has found its way through the air filter due to water entry of the airbox. Clean the carby!

Long story made short, you need to clean everything including airbox, in and out, and do not wash the bike, EVER, without either removing the filter and plugging the hole first, OR removing it and inspecting the box immediatly afterwards for a passthrough of dirt and water laying in the bottom of the box Period, end of story, every time and do not forget it, and do not ask stupid questions!!!!!

Once you have explored these areas, you may look for other potential causes. Lessons learned! And tought! :rolleyes:

I clean my carb and airbox after every outing. And as I said above, I have checked the carb and there is no blockage there. I will checked the throttle slide later on.

I don't think I asked any stupid questions, I havn't been in the sport very long so I am still learning. The only to to learn is to ask these questions....

I clean my carb and airbox after every outing. And as I said above, I have checked the carb and there is no blockage there. I will checked the throttle slide later on.

I don't think I asked any stupid questions, I havn't been in the sport very long so I am still learning. The only to to learn is to ask these questions....

Sorry mate, as this was not used to insinuate that your question was silly or stupid, but yet to reinforce the absolute importance of what I stated.

If you can manually rotate the tube to shut down the throttle, it is not the carb slide that is sticking.

If you ever have a throttle slide stick that you cannot control, specially at just the wrong instant, it can be Very Dangerous! Not to mention that people freak out and do not pull the clutch at times!

As a re read on your initial post, if all this happens with the bike running, it probably just as well may happen without it running, and could well be the tube on the bar binding or something. Do tell more!