Montesa 349 Help!

ivor

just registerd today on account of buying a Montesa 349 (apparently a Mk3) from a man in the pub. He had stripped it, powder coated the frame, new shocks, painted and polished all the other bits but electrics are in a mess and he hasnt a clue - wont run. a few other minor bits missing from it too like the front sprocket cover and lower chain tube. Anybody point me in the right direction for parts and a manual? oh and it could do with some new head race bearings - he put new ball bearings in, but still very loose.

a few other minor bits missing from it too like the front sprocket cover and lower chain tube.

Wouldn't worry about 'em too much unless you want to do a concors resto.

Anybody point me in the right direction for parts and a manual?

Try Jared Bates at south west Montesa. Alternatively, google is your friend. There are a few Spanish companies doing repro parts

oh and it could do with some new head race bearings - he put new ball bearings in, but still very loose.

It would if we knew where you are located but any decent bearing supplier can assist here. I don't know what bearings are needed but somebody, probably Woody or Feetupfun, will know.

I have a MH349 owners manual but apart from a few torque settings and wiring diagrams is not exactly helpfull. Has your bike still got its lights on otherwise the only cable to worry about is the black from the motor which connects to the coil and kill switch.

Chain tube available from In Motion Trials in the UK

thanks gents thats a big help. no it doesnt have any lights, but by the state of the minimalst wiring it may have had at one time? there is a a cheap looking handlebar mounted light switch thing that has been removed with a pair of pliers in the small box ot bits that came with it. this has a red and a blue push button on it, and a slot/hole that another switch lived (a long time ago). there are 9 wires going in to it, but tye rest of the loom that runs to the handlebars is long gone. now i know its only the black wire i need to worry about, the rest can be chopped and sealed off.

Im in the NE of Scotland, so its a long drive to a bearing supplier - internet is best. i have cotacted In Motion trials for the chain tube and alloy bracket, although not really sure why its there, my Whitehawk TY manages without.

The chain tubes where a Montesa and Bultaco thing, the idea is to keep the chain clean and if managed properly work quite well. On my bike which has the bottom tentioner behind the rubber front sprocket cover the chain hits the swingarm if the tube is not fitted and the chain is a little slack.

Im in the process of rebuilding mine Ive owned it from new 24 years and its going to cost as much as it was new

an hour of messing about has got it running - the HT lead had pulled out of the coil a bit and was a hit and miss spark. Quite a beast compared to my civilised Whitehawk TY175, not helped by a clutch that wouldnt fully release even with the cable adjusted to max (another little job on the list!) Plenty of grunt with effortless 3rd gear wheelies. just need to get on linewith my shopping list.

one other thing - should there be any brace to the cylinder head from the top tube?

If you want to replace the ball races in the headstock with taper rollers, Pyramid Parts have taper rollers that will fit. If you measure the existing bearings they will match them for you (I've replaced mine but can't remember the size)

This is a link to their website page with the bearings by size. The site is a bit of a mess at the moment as it is a new one and they are still transferring stuff over from the old one. They haven't got their contact details on there yet but you'll probably find them through Yell.com. You can either order bearings by phone or on-line.

http://www.pyramidparts.co.uk/steering-hea...earings-by-size

• 1 year later...