Bantam Trialler Petroil Mix

sameagle

Actually that isn't true. The correct mix is what you want. To much oil just gums everything up and causes oil not to reach places it needs to reach.

80 to 1 with a modern synthetic will keep that Bantam engine humming for a good long time.

A very good friend of mine who has 30years of experience with bikes and who has had 10years work working at mounttunes working on rally cars aswell as rebuilding the engine on colin mcrages world champion car he has a few bikes which are pre 65 championship scramble winners god knows how many times. he runs his challenger and grifon on 16:1 on castrol rand trials bike a villiers engined Anglian on 20:1 he has also had a champion ship winning bantam and he has advised me that no less than 30:1 is to go through that bike.

Anyone who had done significant amounts of dyno testing on air cooled engines will know that more oil = cooler engine = more power.....

We also used 16:1 castor based in classic race engines (air and water cooled), but with synthetic oil they smoke like hell if you use that much as those oils are designed to run less.

Good quality synthetics will give excellent lubrication over mineral (or castor based) oils at 32:1 no problem in a race engine. For a classic air cooled trials engine I would suggest 40:1 be a good compromise - assuming a fully synthetic high quality oil such as Silkolene, Putoline, PJ1, Morris etc, etc.

Thank you some one understands how to look after a engine and u are right the oil helps to keep it cool and also if there is not enough oil in the engine it will not get into those important places or main bearings bantam ones are a classic for not having enough oil

Hi Guy's

With regards to main bearings. I thought everyone used the rubber sealed for life bearings, now-a-days, is that not the case then??? :icon_salut:

Regards Charlie.

hi Charlie fine for low speed applications, wheel bearings etc, maybe even gearbox output shaft but i would always remove the inner side seal but i would never use in a crankshaft application. Just my twopennorth.

• 8 months later...

Took the Bantam out for it's first run last night, petroil mix OK, thanks very much.

Lack of power - yes, but it's elderly, like me, and only 175cc.

Bad brakes? They probably were on the original Bantams, but this one's got Franny Barnett hubs and brakes; they're not bad, they're terrible!

As far as overheating is concerned, I did notice a certain "Glowing Warmth" wafting up from beneath the tank; ignore it and press on, I say!

This was only my fourth time out on a trials bike, and it's the first time that I've not fallen off - I just had an "unscheduled dis-mount", when a tree decided to trot into my path, and loomed up on my left - they look so firmly planted when you walk along the course.

I need to get a folding kick-start lever, it only has the stock model fitted at the moment, but I love it; it might be a bit boring for you younger sprogs, but for me, starting trials later in life, it's suits me fine.

I must have got on OK, I ache all over, today!

Thanks for all your help and comments....

John