Bar Risers

I'm 6'4 and riding a 2002 280 pro. Lately I've been playing more with bar position and was wondering if anyone uses risers and if so, how much rise? The bars are the stockers and I've got my dirtbike bars up an 1" or so and like the effect. Obviously trials bikes aren't dirt bikes and in reviewing some of the SSDE pics I didn't see anyone using a riser.

Do they have an adverse effect on position/turning? Any feedback is welcome.

Well I am going to have to disagree about risers as they did nothing for me except make it hard to keep the front end down on big climbs and steps. After snapping my rear mudguard I took them off and have had no more flipping incidents. I must admit that they do make a very nice riding position as I am six ft 4 also but i don't think it is coincidental that the front end issues stopped after they came off. I had them on for six months. Why not use your height to your advantage ? We can take great dabs with our long legs !!!

I'll definitely pay attention to the front end. I got them machined and rode a little with them, bar input seems better (have a little more leverage) and now that I think about it the front 'felt' lighter. Have to do more testing....

I installed the S3 adjustable bar risers and have my bars rotated very forward with the mount adjustment all the way back. The main difference I feel is I seem to have more weight forward and have to be conscious to lean back more to get weight on the rear wheel for traction. My back tends to be straighter which keeps my weight more forward. Hopping the front and rear wheels is easier with the extra leverage. That is the effect for me who is 5'4". An interesting note is several years ago there were Renthal Kuroyama and Lampkin bends with the Lampkin bend being lower. I'm assuming Lampkin is much taller yet he has the lower bars. I think short riders can benefit from bar risers while very tall riders might benefit more with pegs moved back.

One of the reasons I thought about raising them was when I video'd myself my a*** was pretty high and back. Didn't feel this way but I could see it in replay. The higher bars make it easier to keep my b$tt forward due to not being so bent over but they may end up just being a training tool. If I bend my legs more I dip to a lower, forward C of G which seems better for just about everything (except steep drop off's) but I can't stay that deep in a knee bend for and hour. I really like the added bar input I'm feeling and it seems as if I can move around more without impacting my balance as much. As gazzaecowarrior noted, the front comes up easier which might be a problem for big step-ups, can't get far enough over the front end at a full stand.....interesting to play with for sure.

I like the S3 riser. It made it much easier to get on the front of the bike for those extreme up hill off camber turns that I'm still not that good at. I have the bars rolled far forward and slid back, but not all the way back. This does not interfere with big steps and I have no problems keeping the front down. I started out with them slid all the way to the front and found that I could not turn, so I slid them back till I was comfortable turning. After about a year I noticed I was having trouble keeping my back tire planted on fairly large irregular steps, so I slid them back a little more and that cured that problem. I have back and neck problems and the risers help with that.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I've now spent about 8 riding hours with the risers and am liking them. Bar input is more noticable and it is helping me stretch out a little on the bike. Before my bars e felt low and at my hips, a hard spot to keep control of the bars with my arms so I was doing it more with my legs. Now I'm squating a little more (using legs) and the bars are up some so I feel like my arm input is helping rather than chasing the action (if that makes any sense). After a few months I'll pull them so I can compare feels but as of now I'm liking it. Helped with doing a longer wheelie to boot, go figure.