Dunlop D803 Mounting Issues

kelsey

I use tire irons to put tires on. If I remember correctly the first side goes on without the tire levers and the second side I use the levers for the last 1/4 of the bead, just small sections at a time and it goes on easy. Done Michelins, IRC and Dunlop this way, never hurt the bead. Like many things in life there are a million and one different methods to achieve the same results.

On a side note: Do we as trials riders actually have our tires on long enough to worry about the rubber rotting if regular soap or WD40 is used?

Kelsey,

It's a shame that you had a bad experience with the Dunlops.

On a side note: Do we as trials riders actually have our tires on long enough to worry about the rubber rotting if regular soap or WD40 is used?

Good point, no we probably don't have to worry about the rubber rotting.

But the salt in soap or fairy liquid attacks the aluminium, it will eat through the hard anodizing and then rot the aluminium, aluminium does corrode the white fluff on old aluminum parts is 'Rust' this however once formed protects the aluminium from further corrosion, salt prevents this from forming and accelerates the process added with the fact that the inside of a rim is the perfect atmosphere to cause corrosion (rich oxygen source, damp and sealed)

I only use a proper tire soap its not expensive and works a hell of a lot better than anything else

you could always take a jam jar down to you local tire shop and sweet talk them in to a jar full if your tight :rolleyes:

i allways use lighter fluid or hair spray to get my tires on. stick it on skush a little lighter fluid or spray a good bit of hair spray in and then light it bang and the jobs done. sometimes it doesnt go on fully so i just pump it up till it pops on a little scarey the first copple times you do it but then its easy peasy.

you could always take a jam jar down to you local fetish shop and sweet talk them in to a jar full if your tight :)

ooooh kinky

:rolleyes:

Corrosion of the rim would be bad and an ongoing problem. We don't replace rims just as a normal consumable item.

so what exactly is in "tire soap" is it soap or is that just the name of it?

I cannot fathom exactly why a fellow with experience should have such a difficult time getting one of these on the rim. As Zipper stated, you can usually get the first side on by hand, then just flip on the other. Getting them onto the beads is another thing, and honestly I think there may well be as much varience built into the rims(on trials bikes) as anything related to the tire, but one thing I can tell you from experience prevails, and that is, if you are having difficulty, you probably do not have enough lube, or need to change to the proper stuff and plenty of it!

I use both the paste and the liquid at work. The liquid is better, as is called upon at times. Nothing else will touch it! Cheap insurance against ruining a 3-400 dollar tire at times. You may well screw yourself otherwise!

If you think trials tires are difficult, I beg to differ.

Isee that stuff at NAPA costs $8 per gallon, suppose it is pre-mixed, the stuff I use(worlds finest) costs about 4 times that as a concentrate. You probably would not really want to know what is in it, as the MSDS does not report. I just call it gorilla snot!

It is obsene, but I actually have a couple highly polished and chromed tire irons that cost more than a Mich! They have little plastic protectors that slide on as well, just sick!

Add to all this, as I have learned to judge the prick by the wheels, some I will just send on! :rolleyes:

Again..

After the Dunlop failures.. I installed a brand new Mich on the same rim without issue... Seriously, it seems that there may have been a bad batch of D803's.. Afterall.. there are a few others on here with the same issue..

But, thanks for all the good tips on installs.... No big deal.. just seeing if it was a common thing...

I was excited to run the D803's, they seem like they would be very grippy, but it seems I will not get the chance

Edited by Kelsey

• 2 months later...

Its been known for years that a Dunlop is a lot tighter on the rim than Mitchelin. This can be an advantge because you can ride it a long way after its punctured without it coming off the rim.

Buy any tire a couple of weeks before you intend to mount it, put in an old inner tube and blow it up as far as you can without the tube popping out then hose it with hot / scalding water. Warm it up again (and the rim) immediately prior to fitting and they tyre will go on easier and seal easier. If you must lube it use tyre soap or silicone oil. Silicone oil is availble from plumbers merchant and used to make rubber seals very slippy.

Cheers