Jitsie Inside-out Air Filter

neo

Thanks chaps - much appreciated. i suspect i might have bought a Cheapie which i hope doesnt turn out to be a false economy. hadnt realised they were all different. Maybe a Jitsie for the Christmas list !!?

best wishes

Caddabs

Edited by Caddabs

Neo, I've always had a spare filter ready to go, must be something to do with riding in water a lot. They used to be cheap but last I heard in NZ price was $40 odd for a genuine filter plus freight. Still end up replacing 1 every couple of years though

I use "NoToil" filter oil and cleaner. It's easy to clean, no petro or kero and better for the environment. What do you do with all that dirty petro? Put it in the Mini?

(Hey there, feetupfun, "Neo I wish people spelled coarse and dual correctly", you didn't notice the word 'buy (by)'? I won't have you do my spell chekin'! Ha ha ha)

Party on, Dudes.

For that kinda money I think the Jitse is much better bet ... once in-side-out :D

I read a Jitsie advertisement some time back that said "It'will be the last air filter you'll buy!" .... I don't think that's true but the filter is better than the standard one.

Best of balance.

Neo

I'll second the "NoToil" method as I've been using it for years on the Enduro and MX bikes. For my YZ I have a bag of 6 filters and once they are all dirty I stick them into the washing machine with the powder release agent and a bit of normal washing powder and 30 mins later 6 nice mega clean filters..... Easy!

I use "NoToil" filter oil and cleaner. It's easy to clean, no petro or kero and better for the environment. What do you do with all that dirty petro? Put it in the Mini?

(Hey there, feetupfun, "Neo I wish people spelled coarse and dual correctly", you didn't notice the word 'buy (by)'? I won't have you do my spell chekin'! Ha ha ha)

Party on, Dudes.

I have my own thoughts on all this, which is why I have stayed out of this discussion to this point.

I run a coarse pre-screen glued to the top cap to keep the big stuff out. (also helps deflect water) Helps with longivity(time between service) of the filter as well.

I have several filters of different origin. The Jitsie is the best construction it seems.

The real work of a filters maze is only a minor part, as it is the oil that actually sticks the small dust particles that errode the motor over time. We are talking microns here. One can use any oil, even motor oil, yet to me it is the HIGH TACK oils that grab and hold the particles more efficiently.

Wether spray on or pour on, you need a good coating in the maze media to do the job. To do this, one must apply liberally, then squeeze out excess to get full coating on all working surfaces in the filter media.

I have used the NO-TOIL product for years now, and am happy with it. It offers a high tack, will clean in the water based soap, or the stoddard solvents as well for that matter, and is available here readily under the Honda shop brand(as they have adopted it as well) at reasonable cost for the kit of soap and oil.

There are some arisol filter sprays that are high tack, others are not! Test them once the carrier solvent has dried. They should actually string off with your finger almost like glue! Almost like catching bugs on a glue strip, on a smaller scale.

The best filter is clean and well oiled!(with good oil)

If any water passes through the filter media, it will take the dirt with it, even with high tack oil. This can lay up in bottom of airbox and have dire results. Always inspect for this. Specially after a wash.

The dirt and dust is fine as talcum powder here in the dry times. Can take its toll on everything on the machine. Other areas can be more forgiving, specially when wet, yet when it really counts, it is cheap insurance to get the best filter action you can.

And that's what I think about that! :D

I'll second the "NoToil" method as I've been using it for years on the Enduro and MX bikes. For my YZ I have a bag of 6 filters and once they are all dirty I stick them into the washing machine with the powder release agent and a bit of normal washing powder and 30 mins later 6 nice mega clean filters..... Easy!

I thought I was the only psycho that did this....I have 5 filters and get them all dirty before cleaning and oiling. (I don't do it as often as I should, so they may last a whole summah!) Do you pre-oil all the filters? I did when I used regular oil, but I don't know if it makes a difference with the No-toil, so I've started oiling them as I go.

I thought I was the only psycho that did this....I have 5 filters and get them all dirty before cleaning and oiling. (I don't do it as often as I should, so they may last a whole summah!) Do you pre-oil all the filters? I did when I used regular oil, but I don't know if it makes a difference with the No-toil, so I've started oiling them as I go.

Nope, I just put the clean filters in a plastic bag in the Garage and retrieve and oil as required. <Latex Gloves at the ready>

The only bad point with pre-oiling, that I see, is the possibility of them picking up dirt while hanging around my garage as it's not exactly an aerospace workshop...

Edited by JohnnyDudeUK

Nope, I just put the clean filters in a plastic bag in the Garage and retrieve and oil as required. <Latex Gloves at the ready>

The only bad point with pre-oiling, that I see, is the possibility of them picking up dirt while hanging around my garage as it's not exactly an aerospace workshop...

I pre-oil the extra filters, let them dry overnight and put them in a zip lock bag the next day.

Using petrol to wash the filter can damage the glue but its way more likely to expand the pores in the foam making it easier for dirt to pass through

I use turps to get the oil out of the filter then use hot soapy water to remove the turps & the clean water to make sure the soap is gone. It's always amazing how much dirt comes out with the turps & then how much the soapy water manages to find as well.

Throw it in the hot water cupboard overnight before oiling & fit your spare that is already oiled & kept in a sealed bag

Tony, excellent regimen described on air filter maintenance. I shall try to follow, but.........what is a hot water cupboard?

I keep them in a zip-loc bag in my van, just in case I need one while riding (like, dumping the bike in water and soaking filter.) Clean and ready to go.

That's a good idea! Thanks!

By the way, has anyone looked at the notoil replacement filter for the Sherco? I picked one up as a second filter for my 290 and it seems well made but much heavier in construction than the Black/Orange (STD?) one that the machine came with. I might be getting a couple more.

I keep them in a zip-loc bag in my van, just in case I need one while riding (like, dumping the bike in water and soaking filter.) Clean and ready to go.
Edited by JohnnyDudeUK

• 3 months later...

That's a good idea! Thanks!

By the way, has anyone looked at the notoil replacement filter for the Sherco? I picked one up as a second filter for my 290 and it seems well made but much heavier in construction than the Black/Orange (STD?) one that the machine came with. I might be getting a couple more.

Didn't even know they made filters!