Footpegs/handlebar Height Adjustments

samandkimberly

OK - I've been riding my 2000 315R around for about a year now, entered a couple of competitions, and I'm beginning to feel like I know enough to tell something is not right with my riding position. The problem? I'm finding that I'm always hunched over the bars - they just seem too low, my neck gets sore, and my forearms are shot after an hour of riding. The simple solution would be higher bars, but I have brand new S3 bars and I'd like to keep them - I like them. I can add a spacer under the bar to add ~15mm, but that's about it w/o spending big money.

The alternative solution would be to lower the footpegs. There seems to be a lot of brackets that move them back 10mm but nothing that moves them down. Then I also hear that Doug Lampkins bike had lowered ones, and that maybe the newer (post 2003?) brackets are set lower. I've also heard both that the brackets are identical to the 4RT, and that they are not. Anyone have any insight on any of this?

I do know this - there are three part numbers for footpeg brackets that I've found:

pre-2000 315: RH is 50600-NN3-000, LH is 50700-NN3-810

post 2001: RH is 50600-NN3-830 , LH is 50700-NN3-830

and the 4RT: RH - 50600-NN4-000, LH -50700-NN4-000

Anyone know what differences there are between these? And the aftermarket ones out there?

Thanks,

Sam

Edited by samandkimberly

315 and 4rt are diffrent - frame is thicker on 315 - I know cos tried my old 315 hangers on 4rt and would need spacers.

You dont say how tall you are - if under 6ft would suggest it is either position of handlebars or something you are doing wrong.

I think the post 2001 bikes maybe slightly further back but cant remember that far back.

Hi Sam,

The 315 and 4RT footpeg brackets are definitely different. Bent my 4RT ones and even though 315 brackets look the same, they aren't. Ended up with Jitsie brackets (10mm back) and Raptor footpegs (10mm lower). I thought the bars were too low as well so put on some 5-1/2" rise trials bars. Had on 4-1/2" rise before I changed. What a difference they made. Also rolled them forwards a bit more as I was feeling too cramped on the bike (I'm not that tall!). Most of the time you are not standing straight when you ride (more crouched) so you don't want to go too high with the bars.

The spacers may just do the trick for you.

Good luck fnding something you like,

Andrew

Edited by stkman

315 and 4rt are diffrent - frame is thicker on 315 - I know cos tried my old 315 hangers on 4rt and would need spacers.

You dont say how tall you are - if under 6ft would suggest it is either position of handlebars or something you are doing wrong.

I think the post 2001 bikes maybe slightly further back but cant remember that far back.

I'm 5"9'. I thought the same as you, which is why I haven't changed any components so far. But after riding this for a year, takign a couple of trials schools, and trying other trials bikes that felt better, and every handlebar adjustment possible I have to conclude it just doesn't fit me well.

Thanks,

Sam

The 315 and 4RT footpeg brackets are definitely different. Bent my 4RT ones and even though 315 brackets look the same, they aren't. Ended up with Jitsie brackets (10mm back) and Raptor footpegs (10mm lower). Most of the time you are not standing straight when you ride (more crouched) so you don't want to go too high with the bars.

The Raptor pegs are 10mm lower? That's interesting. I don't think I need to make a huge change here; the combo of ~10-15mm on the bars and 10-15mm on the pegs would be significant.

Thanks,

Sam