Repair For Black Alloy Forks

richt

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch! thats a shocking price, surley there must be a cheaper option out there somewhere. Hope you get a better price elsewhere

I'm assuming the scratch is on the travel area of the seal which resulted in a leaking seal. For a non-cosmetic but possibly a functional fix in the meantime you could try filling in the scratch with superglue and the use a piece of 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper on a piece of bar stock (or any piece of smooth machined steel) to carefully sand the scratch smooth so it won't cut the seal lip. Don't sand just on the scratch in one area or you'll have a flat spot but sand in an around-the-tube motion.

You won't have the pretty coating on the sanded area but you can turn the tube to move the spot around to the back. Don't over sand, just enough to smooth over the raised ridge on either side of the cut.

Jon

Hi JSE,

The the damage was/still is on the travel area, I have lightly smoothed off the ragged edges so it is max diameter and then filled the sratches with Black nail varnish, It matches very well and I have no leaks.

The varnish was

but if nail varnish works, excellent and you have enough left over to become a goth

I got some strange looks from the shop assistants, it made me think I should have asked a Goth to go out with so I could borrow some to see if it worked, :o

• 1 month later...