Techno Gearbox

beta_trials

Hey guys I have a 15 year old beta techno. the 94 black and yellow. It has finally come time to do an oil change in the transmission. This will be the first time this has been done since the bike was bought new. how hard is it to do it yourself and what type of oil should i use to put back into it. It still shifts just fine with the original factory oil in it. What kind of things do i need to look for when i go through it. Any tips tricks and help is appreciated.

the gears are starting to make alot more noise than normal plus it pops out of gear ever once in a while. I think that the oil in the transmission is flat worn out. and with how hard im starting to ride it i figure its time to change fluids. I know for sure that it doesnt leak anywhere which is really good for its age

Edited by beta_trials

Well it should be easy enough to do, undo the drain plug, drain it, re-fit plug and re-fill with new oil.

A semi-synthetic for 2 stroke gear boxes should be fine. 80w? or something similar.

I'm not sure of the specifics of how much oil or where the plug is though I'm afraid, have to leave that to the Beta boys!

For reference I will usually change my oil every 15 hours! ^_^ (or sooner if I've been giving it some stick!)

Normally a post like this would be like walking into a kennel with a pork chop tied around your neck but this is so over the top that there are a lot of Beta owners just sitting in front of their computers with their jaws in their laps. If this is a joke it's a good one. If you're serious and the oil hasn't been changed for 15 years you're my hero. You may finally have put to rest the "need" to change oil every 15 feet.

Normally a post like this would be like walking into a kennel with a pork chop tied around your neck but this is so over the top that there are a lot of Beta owners just sitting in front of their computers with their jaws in their laps. If this is a joke it's a good one. If you're serious and the oil hasn't been changed for 15 years you're my hero. You may finally have put to rest the "need" to change oil every 15 feet.

This is rather entertaining! The popping out of gear part may be an issue! Wonder just how much metal will pour out the thing with the oil? ^_^

I believe the gear poping is due to the transmission not engaging the gear fully and it only happens in first or second gear as well as it doesnt occur all the time. It just pops out when you start off into neutral. Im still looking for the fill for oil though however. not too sure where its at yet. Also what would any of you guys suggest of an oil to run?

Dan this is no joke. I know all the previous three owners of this motorcycle when it was purchased new. and have talked to all of them. Its still carrying its orginal stock factory oil. The motor has never even had to be worked on. the piston rings still hold so much compression that its just as hard to kick over now as it was new.

Shercojay I have no intention on selling it anyway. This bike rides just as nice as any new one and untill i have the finace to buy a new EVO im going to keep riding this Techno

Edited by beta_trials

I think the Techno motor is the same basic design as the Evo. If that is true You will find a drain plug in the bottom of the motor while looking through a hole in the motor skid plate. The filler hole will be to the right of the water pump. Use 240 cc or fill to halfway point in the sight glass under the water pump. If you have no sight glass and are not sure use 1/2 quart. Belray, Maxima, Type F automatic transmission fluid etc. for transmission oil. If not Just make sure It's designed for use with a wet clutch.

Well I finally have an answer for all of you who wonder if it really is necessary to change your oil in your gear boxes on your bikes. After being used for 15 years without an oil change i pulled very little metal from the oil. there was a very little build up on the magnet on the plug but nothing serious. so you can run a bike without changing oil however its better to do so.

Bike shifts great now even better than it did before the oil change. I also learned that my shifting problem is due to the fact that these era trials dont have the best designed transmissions so they dont shift as well as a new bike does.

Thanks evey one who helped out.