My "new" Ty 250

herman

After a 5 hour drive to pick it up, a 1974 TY 250 has found a home in my garage next to my RL, TL250, and KT. The KT and TL are works in progress. The TY exceeded my expectations as it appears to be a low hour unit. The previous owner, who claimed little to no 2 stroke knowledge, said the bike had a knock when first started and wouldn't stay running. The knock turned out to be the typical Yamaha engine noise. The running issue was as if the bike was loaded up and would not clean out. I checked the carb, a stock TK, and found it to be clean. The air filter was stock and somewhat gummy, so I pitched it. Bike still ran poorly. A closer inspection revealed black drool seeping out of the base gasket. I pulled the top end and found the normal amount of carbon, a clean cylinder wall, and a shiny looking crank. After flushing some more black drool from the cases, I reassembled and tried again. Still blubbering. A friend happened to be there and noticed that there was no exhaust coming out the silencer. Yep, the muffler was plugged tight. With it removed the bike ran much better, but still a little erratic. I plan to go ahead and replace the points, seeing as how I've already given the bike the once over. As far as cleaning the silencer, what would you gents recommend I use? I don't own an oxy/acc torch. The finish of the pipe is outstanding and I'd like to avoid marring that. I figure I'll clean both while I'm at it. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I'll post a pic once I get her back together.

Thanks, Herman

After a 5 hour drive to pick it up, a 1974 TY 250 has found a home in my garage next to my RL, TL250, and KT. The KT and TL are works in progress. The TY exceeded my expectations as it appears to be a low hour unit. The previous owner, who claimed little to no 2 stroke knowledge, said the bike had a knock when first started and wouldn't stay running. The knock turned out to be the typical Yamaha engine noise. The running issue was as if the bike was loaded up and would not clean out. I checked the carb, a stock TK, and found it to be clean. The air filter was stock and somewhat gummy, so I pitched it. Bike still ran poorly. A closer inspection revealed black drool seeping out of the base gasket. I pulled the top end and found the normal amount of carbon, a clean cylinder wall, and a shiny looking crank. After flushing some more black drool from the cases, I reassembled and tried again. Still blubbering. A friend happened to be there and noticed that there was no exhaust coming out the silencer. Yep, the muffler was plugged tight. With it removed the bike ran much better, but still a little erratic. I plan to go ahead and replace the points, seeing as how I've already given the bike the once over. As far as cleaning the silencer, what would you gents recommend I use? I don't own an oxy/acc torch. The finish of the pipe is outstanding and I'd like to avoid marring that. I figure I'll clean both while I'm at it. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I'll post a pic once I get her back together.

Thanks, Herman

Well, based upon your typing, you sound like a Yank(USA), so Bob Ginder at B&J Racing is your man for all the hot tips and setup along with parts! Look him up! :o

Cheers!