Gas Gas Txt 280 Going In Reverse?

peasie

Been out today on my txt 280 2001 and when i stopped with the clutch pulled in it went into reverse gear???

The only way to get it going forward was to kill the engine and kick it over again and then it was fine for a while but just now and again if i stopped with the clutch pulled in,it went into reverse again.

Any idea's please as i'm a bit worried!!

Cheers Steve :lol:

That's really unusual, but I'd first look for a sheared Woodruff key in the flywheel hub allowing the timing to change radically.

Jon

Hi do you think this could cause the reverse gear situation

a sheared woodruff key?

A simple(ish) explanation-

The woodruff key aligns the flywheel to the crank and determines the ignition timing.

If the key shears then the timing can shift causing the ignition to spark at the wrong time.

If the sparks occurs to early as the piston is on the up stroke then the detonation can 'throw' the piston back down instead of it continuing on its normal rotation.

This can then lead to the engine running in reverse which in turn causes to gearbox to run in reverse etc etc.

Solution;

Remove flywheel (you will require the correct tool for this)

Remove the two broken halves of the woodruff key (usually found in the relative slots on the crank and flywheel)

Fit new woodruff key

Replace flywheel etc

Move forwards (hopefully)

GJ :lol:

Well new woodruff key came (gas gas uk) and it is much smaller than the one i took out lengthwise rang to ask if i had wrong one sent and thats all they have.

I am now wondering if the one i took out has been made as its a different material to the one gas gas uk sent,

has anyone got the correct measurements of the correct woodruff key for a txt280 2001 model???

Cheers again Steve

Got one out of parts and measured it:

3mm wide

15.3mm long

5.9mm tall

Jon

Been out today on my txt 280 2001 and when i stopped with the clutch pulled in it went into reverse gear???

The only way to get it going forward was to kill the engine and kick it over again and then it was fine for a while but just now and again if i stopped with the clutch pulled in,it went into reverse again.

Any idea's please as i'm a bit worried!!

Cheers Steve :lol:

Hello Steve. I am having the same problem with 2002 txt pro. I damaged my stator had it repaired wired everything back together took it for a ride, everything ran great, stopped to talk with a friend started it back up and low and behold I took off on reverse. I have checked my woodruff key and it is in good condition. I called a shop and they said it was probably my stator causing it to spark at the improper time. I have yet to check the ohms values to make sure they in in spec but I thought the voltage regulator controlled the output of the spark. If you find out anything will you please let me know and I will do like wise for you. Thanks Amos

Hello Steve. I am having the same problem with 2002 txt pro. I damaged my stator had it repaired wired everything back together took it for a ride, everything ran great, stopped to talk with a friend started it back up and low and behold I took off on reverse. I have checked my woodruff key and it is in good condition. I called a shop and they said it was probably my stator causing it to spark at the improper time. I have yet to check the ohms values to make sure they in in spec but I thought the voltage regulator controlled the output of the spark. If you find out anything will you please let me know and I will do like wise for you. Thanks Amos

Hi again Amos, Jon here.

I doubt the stator had anything to do with it as it's just a power generating device and no timing of any sort is involved. In unusual cases, the CDI can cause a retarded spark, which could lead to reverse running (spark close to TDC), but that's pretty rare in my experience.

I'm no expert in the inner workings of the CDI system but maybe someone with a BSEE or MSEE can give us a clue as to the possibilities within the CDI or other components possibly causing the reverse running.

Jon

Hi again Amos, Jon here.

I doubt the stator had anything to do with it as it's just a power generating device and no timing of any sort is involved. In unusual cases, the CDI can cause a retarded spark, which could lead to reverse running (spark close to TDC), but that's pretty rare in my experience.

I'm no expert in the inner workings of the CDI system but maybe someone with a BSEE or MSEE can give us a clue as to the possibilities within the CDI or other components possibly causing the reverse running. Jon

Jon, (or anyone) correct me, but can you mannipulate the timing, by changing the degree in which the stator plate is installed on the older txt engines? I know the pro has the induction/flywheel location pickup pretty much unadjustable mounting since no longer on the stator, but I am not sure about the older bike engines. on older points type bikes you moved the stator to adjust timing, what about the TXT engines? Where is the pickup for flywheel position, isnt it on that stator plate as well? Looking at the old parts manual on GG-ES pages, looks like slotted holes to mount stator?

Edited by Sting32

Hi again Amos, Jon here.

I'm no expert in the inner workings of the CDI system but maybe someone with a BSEE or MSEE can give us a clue as to the possibilities within the CDI or other components possibly causing the reverse running.

Jon

Thanks Jon. Do you think I could have wired anything possibly incorrect? If you wire the the stator incorrect will it generate spark? The only thing I can think of is I either wired it incorrectly or the the stator is having issues. Could I have damaged the cdi by wiring it incorrectly? The one thing I do remember while I was wiring it up for the fist time was the woodruff she was sheared off i've since purchased a new one and the reverse problem occurred after that. Thanks Amos

Thanks Jon. Do you think I could have wired anything possibly incorrect? If you wire the the stator incorrect will it generate spark? The only thing I can think of is I either wired it incorrectly or the the stator is having issues. Could I have damaged the cdi by wiring it incorrectly? The one thing I do remember while I was wiring it up for the fist time was the woodruff she was sheared off i've since purchased a new one and the reverse problem occurred after that. Thanks Amos

Amos,

I'm guessing the stator is good as you have enough output to develop spark. I'd take your time and double check your wiring job against the wiring diagram. Usually the CDI wiring is "plug and play" as the connectors only go one way in most instances.

Jon

Jon, (or anyone) correct me, but can you mannipulate the timing, by changing the degree in which the stator plate is installed on the older txt engines? I know the pro has the induction/flywheel location pickup pretty much unadjustable mounting since no longer on the stator, but I am not sure about the older bike engines. on older points type bikes you moved the stator to adjust timing, what about the TXT engines? Where is the pickup for flywheel position, isnt it on that stator plate as well? Looking at the old parts manual on GG-ES pages, looks like slotted holes to mount stator?

The stator/trigger position on the older engines can be changed to a degree limited by the slots on the mounting plate. The Pro has a fixed stator plate and "external" trigger, which can be changed slightly by slotting the mounting plate holes. Most ignition timing adjustments now are carried out by the electronics. An early version of the Pro CDI had a programmable ignition system that required a wiring harness and laptop (and infinite possibilities of developing maps) but the current systems have two timing maps pre-programmed into the CDI module that are toggled by a switch on the bars.

Jon

The stator/trigger position on the older engines can be changed to a degree limited by the slots on the mounting plate. The Pro has a fixed stator plate and "external" trigger, which can be changed slightly by slotting the mounting plate holes. Most ignition timing adjustments now are carried out by the electronics. An early version of the Pro CDI had a programmable ignition system that required a wiring harness and laptop (and infinite possibilities of developing maps) but the current systems have two timing maps pre-programmed into the CDI module that are toggled by a switch on the bars.

Jon

That is why I asked, I was thinkin if he didnt get stator tight, or aligned exactly where it came off... that it could be advanced.

I was just thinking out loud, if like me last bike before the new fangled stuff, had points ya know, might not known...

FWIW, I had bultaco that would run backwards, when timed badly by us, if you bumped the tree just right, and it happened on a riverbank (deep river too) when that happened. luckily it throws you over the bars when it did that, Scary stuff. lol

That is why I asked, I was thinkin if he didnt get stator tight, or aligned exactly where it came off... that it could be advanced.

I was just thinking out loud, if like me last bike before the new fangled stuff, had points ya know, might not known...

FWIW, I had bultaco that would run backwards, when timed badly by us, if you bumped the tree just right, and it happened on a riverbank (deep river too) when that happened. luckily it throws you over the bars when it did that, Scary stuff. lol

Yep, I also remember the Bultaco days. Stuck up high on a steep muddy bank and starting to roll backwards one quickly finds out there is no way possible to get off/away from the bike and you're just along for the ride to the bottom.....

Jon