dead cabby !

pistonbroke

My sons 2007 cabby died on Sunday.Basically , queuing up for a section it just cut out and hasn't started since. Checked the obvious , plug ,loose connection etc and at the moment I have drawn a blank. I've been told that it will more than likely be either the cdi unit or the stator . Is there any way to check these without changing them and hoping for the best ?

Any advice will gratefully accepted,but please , electrics has never been my forte, mechanics no problem but electrics yuk !!So please try to keep it simple

Thanks in advance

Phil

When you checked the plug.......does it have spark?

Sorry , I should have said . No there isn't any spark at the plug, ive checked the plug in my bike and it works. I've also disconnected the kill switch, also no joy. I can't try my cdi because it appears to be different , its also got two stage mapping as well and with my sherco being that old it runs on steam power I can't change the parts over to check them !!

Regards

Phil

Sorry , I should have said . No there isn't any spark at the plug, ive checked the plug in my bike and it works. I've also disconnected the kill switch, also no joy. I can't try my cdi because it appears to be different , its also got two stage mapping as well and with my sherco being that old it runs on steam power I can't change the parts over to check them !!

Regards

Phil

Yep, I had an 07 cabby do the same thing. it was the stator, cold solder joint, there's a post on here which explains how to check the readings using a meter in(diode resistance) on your stator. It's not hard to do and then you'll know. cheers

Yep, I had an 07 cabby do the same thing. it was the stator, cold solder joint, there's a post on here which explains how to check the readings using a meter in(diode resistance) on your stator. It's not hard to do and then you'll know. cheers

Is there any chance you could provide a link or similar to this. I've done a search for this and can't find anything

Thanks

Phil

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/stator-repair.html

Try those readings, not sure how they'll differ for the dual curve ignition but probably pretty close. If in doubt give Chris a call or email & he'll be able to point you in the right direction, seems to really know his stuff & is very helpful

Thanks for the advice, but I am already in contact with Chris at splatshop. As you say ,he is a very helpful guy . I've just got to get my sons bike over to Chesterfield to be checked .Apparently a cdi unit can't be checked , so the only thing to do is change it and see if it works ! Its not as far as you would have to travel if you had to get there, but its far enough !!!

Regards

Phil

Thanks for the advice, but I am already in contact with Chris at splatshop. As you say ,he is a very helpful guy . I've just got to get my sons bike over to Chesterfield to be checked .Apparently a cdi unit can't be checked , so the only thing to do is change it and see if it works ! Its not as far as you would have to travel if you had to get there, but its far enough !!!

Regards

Phil

We've now got a spark !! It lives !! It breathes !! Can't praise Chris at splatshop enough . Couldn't have been anymore helpful.

Will defineately use him again !! Oh and if anybodys interested , it was the stator and I wouldn't have found out without Chris

Phil

Thought it might be the stator, same thing happened on mine.

Interestingly it wasn't actually the coil needing rewinding, it was the hall sensor, a part which probably costs next to nothing to buy direct from an electronics retailer but is very difficult to change because of the way it is cast in to its housing.

Thought it might be the stator, same thing happened on mine.

Interestingly it wasn't actually the coil needing rewinding, it was the hall sensor, a part which probably costs next to nothing to buy direct from an electronics retailer but is very difficult to change because of the way it is cast in to its housing.

If that is the brown wire then that is it !!I do remember Chris , at splatshop , saying pretty much the same thing

Phil