Rim tape help

bowellsyboy

Hi, Am currently doing the rim tape on my spare wheel, the person who had it before knocked the valve out and put a inner tube in. :wall: Spent ages cleaning the wheel as it was in a pretty bad state under the old tape. Got the new rim tape out and in the bag there is a washer/cupped washer? and am a bit amiss about where it goes. Had a look at my other wheel and cant see anything on the outside so does it go internally under the rim tape? It's a Jitsie rim tape if that helps?

Here ya go:

http://www.sherco.com/wayne/Rim%20Band%20Replacement%20Manual.pdf

I have however seen the light, and become a giant fan of the one piece rims-strip/air-valve version.

Yes it's more expensive, but I'll gladly mow my neighbors grass for the extra money :)

Cheers for that. I have got the one piece kit so hopefully will have a fighting chance. Having read previous threads on installing these tapes I have a feeling its going to be fun :wacko:

Here ya go:

http://www.sherco.com/wayne/Rim%20Band%20Replacement%20Manual.pdf

I have however seen the light, and become a giant fan of the one piece rims-strip/air-valve version.

Yes it's more expensive, but I'll gladly mow my neighbors grass for the extra money :)

I am becoming a giant fan of the Montesa style rear rim...........no rim tape :thumbup:

I'm becoming a fan of Homebase 3 in 1 silicon/mastik sealant. No rim tape. They are an utter pain in the a*** to fit - just too wide to sit properley in the well, won't lie flat all the way around the rim and rarely seal

The washer goes on the outside of the rim over the valve and under the locknut.The raised part uppermost so it sits nicely on the rim.

Fitted one of these recvently and they are very good, just put a light smearing of grease in the grove where it fits and the tape will go in quite easily and the grease seals the spokes and prevents air leakage.

hi all. Thanks for the info on the washer. Fitted the rim tape this morning. Gave the wheel groove a good brushing over of tyre lube and worked the rim tape in nicely. I found the rim tape went in easily when the tape was at the right tension all the way around and only encountered a problem getting it to sit in the groove when a section was to slack. Thankfully did'nt have to much trouble and it sealed nicely and the tyre is still up this evening. :thumbup: No need for messy sealant....at the moment anyway!!!! I think spending a good amount of time cleaning the groove in the wheel up really paid off.