240 electrics

slogger

The restoration on the 240 I picked up recently is making progress and although she was stood up for 5 years its all small stuff to get her into a rideable state (before I go for a gradual restore!)

I did have her running following a full carb refurb but whilst she will tick over and pick up with no load, once I put her into gear and pull away she wont pull. Am going to strip the carb again but I wonder if any electrics need replacing due to her age / period of standing up ?

Havent worked on bike electrics in detail so it might be worthwhile explaining any suggestions.............

Rob

First off make sure the petcock flows freely , 2nd contact Steve Goode and get a late model CDI type coil if it still has the round dansi coil , Put a iridium spark plug in it ,( denso W22FS-U ) is a direct replacement . And if that dosn't sort it out pull off the whole exhaust and clean it out from stem to stern ... And if she runs ok for a while and then starts fading as it gets truly hot/warmed up , you may want to get the complete ign. system from http://www.bmz.fr/index.html or get your stator plate rewound localy to you ... Classictrial.co.uk will have all the info and links you need on your side of the pond !

Cheers;

Glenn

• 5 weeks later...

Glenn,

Been onto Steve as suggested and he was really helpful. Unfortunately my Fantic appears to have a Motoplat coil which is quiet unusual for a 240 ???? and the only contact he knows is in Spain.

Would be useful to try and fault this prior to sending the coil and the stator out there. If anyone has a spare one knocking about I can use as a test that would be appreciated????

Rob

• 3 weeks later...