Majesty Query

125gold

hi, i have a chance to buy a yamaha ty250 i think it is a majesty, please can anybody tell me how to distinguish between the two,can you tell by the frame number, the frame number is. 493-300381 engine number, 493-301777, are engine and frame numbers suppose to match, it has coffin type tank and the rear shocks are more laid down ,thats the only thing i can see that is different, any advice greatly appreciated. many thanks alan

Just a tip, if the bike is an early Majesty (with a modified yamaha frame) the the engine numbers should match, as on standard TY's and all early Yamaha's.

The later Godden framed Majesty had a standard Yamaha engine number but obviously JShirt gave them his own frame no's.

Might have had an engine swap, maybe.

The Yamaha framed Majesty also had the engine lifted higher in the frame to give more ground clearance. This meant that the brace that runs under the frame top tube to join with the downtubes from the headstock (incorporating the toolbox) then ran very close to the sparkplug, so the brace had to be modified and shaped to bend around the plug. On a standard frame the plug is well away from this brace. This is easy enough to check for if you remove the tank.

Also, where the frame tubes were cut at the bottom of the frame at the rear of the bashplate for what must have been the engine lifting mod, the tubes were left open. Normal frame will have properly finished tubes. I've hopefully uploaded a picture of what I mean marked with red arrow. I have 2 Yamaha framed Majesties and they are both modified in this way.

The exhaust pipe also needed to be shortened in height as well I think due to the engine being moved up so there should be signs of welding where it has been cut and rewelded.

So although it is relatively easy to reposition rear shocks Majesty style, it's unlikely that anyone would also carry out these other mods also.

Apparantly, Shirty still has the build sheets for all the Majesties and is still willing to help out with veryfying/dating them so he would be able to tell you straight away from the frame number whether it is genuine or not. Not sure if Craig has that info or not.

post-12-1107365406.jpg

Edited by Woody

I faxed John Shirt last year, with Frame no. details of my Godden framed Majesty.

He replied back, same day with confirmation of date of production and how/what/why the frame no. meant ( to the uninformed.....me).

Very comprehensive.........superb service .......!!