Beta 125 or Beta 200 to replace Montesa 315?

bforcell

I ride a Montesa 315 in the novice class. I've been riding a few years now but started a little late in life--40. I'm happy in the Novice class, as I can just go and have fun while rideing at my skill level. Also, I love my 315 Montesa because it is reliable and very stable. Recently, however, I injured the ACL in my right knee. The doctor says trials is no problem, just wear a knee brace. But, my confidence is an issue, as the thought of re-injuring the knee will be in the back of my mind. So . . . I am wondering if a smaller(125-200cc), a somewhat underpowered bike would be lighter and more confidance inspiring.

I read a review in T&MX News that made me think a new Beta EVO 125 might be good for someone my age and at my skill level. They didn't seem to care for the 200, which seems like a more logical fit for my size, 195 lb. Any thoughts about these bikes? Does anyone have experience with the Beta 200 or as an adult riding the 125? Should I just stick with the Montesa and give it a go?

I ride a Montesa 315 in the novice class. I've been riding a few years now but started a little late in life--40. I'm happy in the Novice class, as I can just go and have fun while rideing at my skill level. Also, I love my 315 Montesa because it is reliable and very stable. Recently, however, I injured the ACL in my right knee. The doctor says trials is no problem, just wear a knee brace. But, my confidence is an issue, as the thought of re-injuring the knee will be in the back of my mind. So . . . I am wondering if a smaller(125-200cc), a somewhat underpowered bike would be lighter and more confidance inspiring.

I read a review in T&MX News that made me think a new Beta EVO 125 might be good for someone my age and at my skill level. They didn't seem to care for the 200, which seems like a more logical fit for my size, 195 lb. Any thoughts about these bikes? Does anyone have experience with the Beta 200 or as an adult riding the 125? Should I just stick with the Montesa and give it a go?

200 all the way. I have no idea why TMX did the 200 down.

We have had one for the last few months & it has plenty of smooth usable power. No surprises & does what is asked of it. What is great as well is you can wind it up in 3rd & it drives, but does not throw you off the back or spin big holes. Pulls 210 lbs of me about no trouble! We have had a 10 front & 11 front sprocket on it. The missus likes the 11 as it is less revvy pulling her about & I like the 10 so I can use the rev range more.

We rode a 125, but seemed all revs to us. So 200 is the way I would go time & again.

But as per usual its best to get out on one & have a go... I have come to the conclusion what is good for the gander is NOT always good for the goose so its really what suits you.

LOONAL

LOONAL

hi mate,sorry to hear about your injury. in my opinion i would stick with the monty unless your itchin for a new bike? i you did want a newer bike theni would say go for the 200 as it just seems logical. a newer bike would def be lighter but as for being as reliable as the monty then im just not sure. i had a monty 315 for two years and i can still not find a bad word to say about it. it did everything i asked of it and still had gas left in the tank.

i hope you have fun making your decision and remember that the memories of the injury will wain with time. i too injured my knee while attempting a silly!!!!! section. i was nervous for a while but after a few days out gentle riding my confidence was back and after 6 mths i dont give it a seccond thought. my best mates knee got bent 180 degree's in the wrong direction a few years back and he still rides enduro very competitivley on a mental gas gas ec 300 using a knee brace that without would render his leg/knee useless. he said you just got to learn to ride the bike better and make sure you dont come off badly.

i hope it all works out whatever you decide, and your welcome to a ride out in shropshire anytime...

all the best.......matt :icon_salut:

This is indeed a two sided topic! Agree with above posts.

Firstly, the bike itself would make little difference in your case, as the Mont 315 is fairly gentile and I found only the late years to be more perky, the weight of the bike makes little difference if the wheels are on the ground.

Yet a lighter bike can make a difference at the end or a long hard day.

125s are fun to ride, yet can take more working of the bike, including revving the crap out of them. The 200 Beta is a smooth operator and will pull most anything with some real torque off the bottom as compared.., not quite the mont though.

The knees being the issue, I have TWO sides that are not good! Braces offer cheap insurance to not overstressing them. I have three different levels, from cheap to expensive, all depends upon what I am doing really. I like them! Only real problem is wearing them ALL DAY, from morn to night, have to peel them off! Keep you warm in the winter too!

Your Dr may have recommends. I can send you mine if need be.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the responses. This is my first real injury ever, and I'm maybe over reacting a little. Your long term perspectives are helpful. Also the advice about the Montesa is helpful. It is so easy to think the grass is greener elsewhere. And I really do like the Mont. It's a very familiar and docile beast. But it is the only bike I've ever had, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Copemech, I haven't chosen a brace yet. DonJoy has a hinged one that down hill skiers use a lot (I also ski, so I'm leaning toward that one. Is that a brand you are familiar with?

Brian

I have three different levels, from cheap to expensive, all depends upon what I am doing really. I like them!

Your Dr may have recommends. I can send you mine if need be.

You handing out recommendations, or knee braces? If braces, I will take one, for my right knee. B)

Thanks for the responses. This is my first real injury ever, and I'm maybe over reacting a little. Your long term perspectives are helpful. Also the advice about the Montesa is helpful. It is so easy to think the grass is greener elsewhere. And I really do like the Mont. It's a very familiar and docile beast. But it is the only bike I've ever had, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Copemech, I haven't chosen a brace yet. DonJoy has a hinged one that down hill skiers use a lot (I also ski, so I'm leaning toward that one. Is that a brand you are familiar with?

Brian

I do not think you are over reacting.I would recommend them to anyone riding, by the pair, as cheap insurance as well as added support. The width of the hinges takes a bit of adjustment though. They will Just cram in under my trials pants, work better with loose fitting jeans or enduro pants. Come down to near boot height. Just a good bang against the frame kills me othwewise! Ouch!

Big thing here is I also use a youth type shin guard with a good knee cup that goes on the outside and tucks into the front top of the boot which has saved me a few knee caps!!!!! (common plant point)

With boots, shin guards, the side rails and hinges and knee caps protected, can feel like Ironman if you take a fall---- with one exception, the bum!

I also have some lesser ones that just pull on, with just two straps, different mfg, and some much more expensive Donjoy ones of the rigid type, yet these have been the favs.

These are moderatly priced and I have had good luck with them.

post-36-098443500 1287613389.jpg

Edited by copemech

In dealing with the brace isssue, if insurance covers the brace, certainly go for a custom fit brace recommended by your orthopaedic physician. DonJoy and Breg are the most commonly used where I'm from. Having an integrated guard may help with protection during any falls. "IF" you're an active individual and continue having symptoms of an unstable knee, I'd be surprised if the doc doesn't recommend reconstruction. Either way, hopefully they have you on an exercise program designed to strengthen your legs(specifically hams and quads). Other than reconstruction, strengthening will be the next best thing. Oh, and avoiding those long dabs! As for the Beta, have had no problems and love the 200. Just don't let a new bike take focus away from rehabing that knee!