spen valley, home farm, any info?

nath15804

Hi, i will be riding in my first ever trial this weekend at spen valley (tad nervous). Just wondering what kind of terrain is it? and what kind of things i should expect? also the trial starts at 1pm, what time is normal to turn up? and can you look at the sections before the start?

any info will be great!!!!

cheers

Nothing to worry about, stick to the easy course, watch a few bikes through on every section, if your not sure just ask anyone, its all very friendly. The going at tong can be varied from, streams, rocky gullys, muddy climbs. Its a got a bit of everything.

Hope the weather hold out!

Have fun

Paul

Hi Nath,

I'll be setting out the course on Saturday with the Clark of Course and the rest of the team. If there's anything on the day your not sure about don't hesitate to ask were a friendly bunch. Just ask for Martin, Ian or Leigh, You'll probably see us whizzing around with a bag of flags setting out the course. There should be directions on the Spen website and the regs are there if you want to download them or look at the calendar here on Trials central. You can pay your entry fees on the day for no extra charge. The trial starts at 1pm but I would get there for about 12ish or earlier so you have time to get signed on and have a look at the course.

As for the routes on the trial we have three routes at our Novice and Beginners Trials. An Easy course, a 50/50 route and a Hard Route. Being an absolute beginner I would recommend you try the easy route and see how you get on. In a section all riders follow the course indicated by Blue and Red flags(red on the right), unless there is a deviation for the easy/50-50 route marked with Yellow and White(white on the right hand side). When you sign on you'll be given a number board(card) to stick on your bike, it will have two red lines through the number to help the observers know you are riding the easy route. If your not sure where you should ride in a section the observer will show you where you need to go. Lookout for other riders competing on the same course as you and watch them ride the section, it will give a good idea to what the best line is through the course is too.

Hey - The lads who set out for Spen Trials are a great bunch and always aim to provide good rideable sections.The easy route is deffo the way to go for starters. As Leigh previously said just watch others and learn - but dont drop too far behind !

You'll have great fun and Home Farm is a great venue your sure to enjoy.

Hope to be riding myself so will keep an eye out for ya !

Bet you have a grin like a cheshire cat on your face at the end but you'll be a little tired ! :thumbup:

Edited by Scoobydo

Don't forget to ask Leigh, Martin or Ian about the final section. This is usually in a local pub, they are a very sociable bunch of lads. In the pub they will teach you all the excuses as to why marks are dropped, they are experts at it!!! lol

Hi lads,

really appreciate all of the comments, when i get there ill have a walk around and get talking to a few folk haha iv downloaded the acu fcrm, so should i just bring this with me along with all the fees? also the trials starts at 1....does this mean everyone has to go in number order ect, or will i have chance to go and look at the other lads ride the sections before i start my "voyage" haha

cheers, nath

Hi lads,

really appreciate all of the comments, when i get there ill have a walk around and get talking to a few folk haha iv downloaded the acu fcrm, so should i just bring this with me along with all the fees? also the trials starts at 1....does this mean everyone has to go in number order ect, or will i have chance to go and look at the other lads ride the sections before i start my "voyage" haha

cheers, nath

Just bring along what forms you have got - you will need to join the club to ride this and future trials (one fee only) then the fee per event. whoever is taking the entries will talk you through whats needed. (possibly it'll be Steve Smithies)

The trial will start at 1(ish) - ride out to the first section for you and watch the first bikes through take notice of the riders on your route dont be afraid to ask advice (what gear to use or which line to take etc) and walk the section so you know where you want to ride, repeat this for each section on the first lap then the remaining laps you usually just arrive gather yourself and ride ( but do check out on foot if not sure or forgot)

Dont miss any sections out !!!!!

You dont ride in any rider numerical order. (but you do ride the sections in numerical order)You will find that an order of queueing usually prevails (chance to chat to other riders)

It will all become clear on the day :rolleyes:

Edited by Scoobydo

Don't forget to ask Leigh, Martin or Ian about the final section. This is usually in a local pub, they are a very sociable bunch of lads. In the pub they will teach you all the excuses as to why marks are dropped, they are experts at it!!! lol

So who has the most hollow legs then Andy? :guinness: It was always either me or Wrighty :blink: