static sag

kayloe

Hi, i found a good thread the other day on how to set and measure static sag, something about a 3rd of travel as sag? anyway i cant find it now, can anyone help? i have measured to given points front and rear. Rear from spindle middle to a marked point on fender 590mm unloaded and 480mm loaded. Front from fork clamp to fork seal 160mm unloaded and 110mmloaded. By loaded i ment with me and boots on bike.

Many thanks again Kay..

Hi, i found a good thread the other day on how to set and measure static sag, something about a 3rd of travel as sag? anyway i cant find it now, can anyone help? i have measured to given points front and rear. Rear from spindle middle to a marked point on fender 590mm unloaded and 480mm loaded. Front from fork clamp to fork seal 160mm unloaded and 110mmloaded. By loaded i ment with me and boots on bike.

Many thanks again Kay..

Was it this one? http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/32873-suspension-set-up-jxt270/page__p__249919__hl__%2Bstatic+%2Bsag__fromsearch__1#entry249919

Unloaded is the bike on a stand, no load on suspension. Loaded is you and gear.

Many thanks again Kay..

Not sure what model you have but the newer Pros have actual 177mm fork and 164mm shock travel. Race sag is a much better measurement than static sag as it takes into account the actual weight the suspension will be dealing with. So, on that basis, race sag (all riding gear on and bike upright)should be in the range of fork: 59mm (2.32") and shock: 55mm (2.17").

Jon

Humph. That Jon guys sure gets around.......

Jon

Thanks all, its a bit confusing :wacko: but will read up a bit more an have a play. Jon , Its an 05 TXT pro 300 sachs rear shock yellow spring, dont know if that helps?

many thanks Kay

Thanks all, its a bit confusing :wacko: but will read up a bit more an have a play. Jon , Its an 05 TXT pro 300 sachs rear shock yellow spring, dont know if that helps?

many thanks Kay

Kay,

Take a look at your bike and see if the info fits what you see. Any questions will be happily answered by the forum regulars.

Jon

I might through in this as I didn't see it in a quick scan of the article,if you have to crank the rear preload so much that you have no static sag when your race sag is correct then you need a stiffer spring,a suspension that constantly tops out and also dips too low into the travel is difficult to get good damping adjustments on,it's usually too soft at times and yet too stiff in other instances.I also think it shortens the life of the shock as it bangs to full extension.This also applies to forks too.

I might through in this as I didn't see it in a quick scan of the article,if you have to crank the rear preload so much that you have no static sag when your race sag is correct then you need a stiffer spring,a suspension that constantly tops out and also dips too low into the travel is difficult to get good damping adjustments on,it's usually too soft at times and yet too stiff in other instances.I also think it shortens the life of the shock as it bangs to full extension.This also applies to forks too.

I have the 20% stiffer springs front and back, and honestly for my body weight, there is none or little static sag. that I believe, is because the weight of the bike without rider is less than half total race weight. (bike weight is 150 lbs, me 230+ lbs) so the adjustments to make the bike hold the rider at the reasonable race sag, probably has to be expected.

the bike doesnt seem to mind, and I would concede the point you made, but even newer bikes with softer springs, will bang the tops when weight is unloaded. So would that not be normal wear and tear?