Smelly Crash Helmets

booma

I really like my old Shoei tr2p but over the years it has got a bit smelly, well OK a BIT, is a bit of an understatment, it bloody stinks!!! what do you guys do to keep you CRASH helmet smelling sweet?, I wash mine in the shower every other week with shampoo and also use a helmet sanitizer spray bought from John Lee M\C but its still wiffs any idea's

This question seems to pop up once or twice a year. And every time - EVERY time - Charlie Chitlins chimes in with his home grown (literally) cure for Stinky Shell Syndrome. Which is:

Fill your helmet with fresh cut grass and leave it out overnight. Some magical property of lawn clippings apparently causes odors to be absorbed into them.

I've always felt that environmentally damaging chemicals were the preferable option whenever available, so I've never actually tried this crackpot theory myself. But I will say that I've ridden with Charlie a few times, and although he's not much of a rider his helmet was always the best smelling one of our group. So you may want to give it a go, just for a lark.

I have an Adam Raga Replica hebo helmet you can take all the lining out wash it and replace it always sweet as a daisy lovely,worth considering when you buy a new lid :ph34r:

I always thought at machinery inspection there was something wrong,waved my straight through every time.

Even riding the easy line in a section nobody would follow me......

The observers seemed to have red faces and didn't talk at all....yes you guessed,they where holding there breath.

But since I started using Napi San all that has changed.

The best I've found by far,after each ride, rinse helmet with clean water,then refill helmet with water and add a half cap of Napi San,swish around so all linings are saturated,leave for 10 minutes ,rinse again with fresh water then hang out to dry.It is antibacterial and has a fresh fragrance.

Leaves your helmet smelling sweet as..... every time. :ph34r::D

Just remembered something that I was told back in my trailriding days: To stop sweat running into your eyes while riding (and to minimise the subsequent helmet stink), put a sanitary towel in the front of your helmet. Yes, an unused one (before the inevitable replies...).

With the bicarb and Always Ultra, I realise that I might be sounding a bit kooky on this thread, but both work, honest!

This question seems to pop up once or twice a year. And every time - EVERY time - Charlie Chitlins chimes in with his home grown (literally) cure for Stinky Shell Syndrome. Which is:

Fill your helmet with fresh cut grass and leave it out overnight. Some magical property of lawn clippings apparently causes odors to be absorbed into them.

I've always felt that environmentally damaging chemicals were the preferable option whenever available, so I've never actually tried this crackpot theory myself. But I will say that I've ridden with Charlie a few times, and although he's not much of a rider his helmet was always the best smelling one of our group. So you may want to give it a go, just for a lark.

You old flatterer :ph34r: