Club Membership

amiller

Just wanted to say I think this may be the best thread on any subject I've read in a long time :thumbup:

On the cost of trophys.....The club I ride with gives out a very nice wooden plaque that you can put multiple placards on (the thing that's stuck to all your trophies that gives the date and event). They take up way less space on the shelf, the placards cost WAY less than trophies, and I've never heard anyone complain. The only folks that a trophy really matters to are the newbees and kids and most of us have enough trophies that if we each recycled a few they would last the club for years.

On the volunteer front.....I think in many cases what's perceived as not wanting to pitch in is actually either apprehension about not wanting to screw up or simply someone waiting to be asked. Many clubs (whatever the sport) have a core group of folks who have known one another forever and feel comfortable working with one another. To them, this is the group that does things, to outsiders it can often appear to be a clique that doesn't want/need the help. In the end, I think that some of the most important things that clubs can do is understand who the membership is, what they can bring to the table, and to ask those folks for help.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3rd option riding non compete is a trophy that big of deal????

Good point, and I have done so, as well as advocated it for others. But I don't enjoy riding a Trial that can only take a few points from me.

Edited by motovita

Good point, and I have done so, as well as advocated it for others. But I don't enjoy riding a Trial that can only take a few points from me.

But that's exactly why we have classes. If you are not getting enough of a challenge in the sections your class, you should move up a class to get that challenge, not expect the sections in your class to get harder to keep you challenged.

But that's exactly why we have classes. If you are not getting enough of a challenge in the sections your class, you should move up a class to get that challenge, not expect the sections in your class to get harder to keep you challenged.

Which is why it's critical to have the gaps between classes evenly spaced. That was the point I was trying to make.