sherco 2011 fuel filler

chr155_d

Hi,

Im sure you will agree the 2011 sherco is a great bike,

Ive only had a few minor niggles with mine, so far "touch wood"

my biggest problem is the fuel filler cap area just collects dirt!

I cover it with duck tape every trial, But the area is just so vunerable to dirt falling in when filling up,

Other than duck tape does anyone have any sort of good solution to this minor but really irritating problem!!!!!

Hi,

Im sure you will agree the 2011 sherco is a great bike,

Ive only had a few minor niggles with mine, so far "touch wood"

my biggest problem is the fuel filler cap area just collects dirt!

I cover it with duck tape every trial, But the area is just so vunerable to dirt falling in when filling up,

Other than duck tape does anyone have any sort of good solution to this minor but really irritating problem!!!!!

get a brush and get rid of the dirt around it before you take the filler cap off.

Sound advice , although may not be practical at refuelling stop in middle of nowhere, Having bought one I now understand that the UK "spec" bikes are of a non homolugated spec, so far as I can tell this is particularly relevant to back mudguard , it being full of holes makes it not particularly practical for us mudpluggers here in UK or for a trials bike generally. I was (to understate) disapointed to find a working front light and no back light at all (I had discussed with my dealer prior to PDI and agreed to leave the lightS on as I need them for european event scrutineers) we are currently "in negotiation" with MRS as I understand it trying to get correct rear light. If anybody out there has an unwanted 2010 back light I have a home for it at moment;... let me know.

get a brush and get rid of the dirt around it before you take the filler cap off.

Ever tried brushing wet mudd? you end up with a muddy brush! can you now see a prediciment?

I used kitchen role and Carb cleaner last trial to disperse the mudd! not ideal between laps!!

What a poor design. Really needs a cover of some sort or 'pop up' arrangement, or even a filler up by the usual tank position with a pipe down to the tank.

I agree and I suggested a pipe from the front of the tank up to the steering head, this would also increase fuel capacity for SSDT etc. I have passed the idea to a sherco dealer so you never know I / we might get some royalties :guinness:

the JCM with the tank under the seat had the filler located in the top tube of the frame and a rubber pipe to connect the top tube to the tank. As the sherco has a perimter frame this wont work but I would have thought a large diameter fuel hose could be passed under the filter box or along side it ?

Looks like a pretty neat deal there from Nutterman!

More extreme conditions may call for more velcro along the sides, or even Very extreme conditions might call for the use of the gorilla tape across the rear and along the sides, using the velcro as a secondary dirt catcher.

The gorilla tape will go on and off many times. I could probably seal up a duck's behind with it! :thumbup:

It appears we all are dsapointed with the non homologated rear mudguard or will be when we get into situation like fuel stop on the scottish with cold wet fingers and mud over everything,It will be ok in most any climate but ours, It doesn't require any genius to come up with a better solution than the current one. I very much like the tank where it is, the acces to it and the back mudguard generally need improving.One can only hope that manufacturers take note of consumers on forums like this; they should because we the buying punters have a fair idea of what is a good or poor design regards trials bikes. Even if they don't agree with this we are, after all the ones who stump up the money and do the biggest part of sales (or not) promotion based on our opinions.

Got to say that the idea of any sort of 'flap' or cover stuck on the rear guard IMO wont stay there too long :huh:

I recon that your back side will simply wear it or rub it off after a short time, making a mess in to the bargain or the petrol will attack any sticky materials you have used there.

Also as already pointed out the muck and crap issue is worring and I for one would not consider a 2011 Sherco for this reason.

I wonder what happens if or rather when you overfill the thing and then sit down on the seat, petrol and *alls dont get on too well I recon :rotfl:

The sherco maybe a good bike (not tried a 2011 myself) but this 'design' issue is to me a mistake.

At £4.5 k ish for a modern bike this is simply not good enough! :wall:

I agree that Sherco should look at a extended filler as someone previously suggested a la JCM.

Edited by Scoobydo

Speaking as someone who 'mainly' buys a trials bike,second-hand,I am not looking forward to buying a 2011 Sherco 1or2 years down the line for this main reason:-

That combination of a crap-magnet fuel filler and a fuel pump??!! :(

The bikes were recently re-designed to have the air-filter housed so far up, out of the way,to help reduce the ingress of crud...but all that is undone when you look at the new crud motorway that is the fuel filler!!??? :wall:

Doh!

I'm a Sherco fan remember.

The fuel filler extension could be just the bit that Ham needs! May not keep him from dabbing, but it may keep him from falling off the bike! :thumbup:

Now I admit that they are different, by intention and design, yet still , none of this really puts me off too much, as it is what it is.

I have ridden some REALLY muddy events, and have had to rinse off conventional tanks as well prior to filling.

With exception of few trials, most filling would be done at the camp or van, anyway. One would suppose that you might have a bit of water about to rinse off things, even totally unprotected as with conventional.

Second thought would be, fuel stop on a long trial would also be a water stop, and same applies. And I have not even gone to a "protected" mode as yet!

Duct tape mode: Shielded and protected from top. Well, if I pull the flap on this, should be pretty clear, even if something came in from below. Doubt there would be much anything that could not be addressed with a quick rinse, even from the backpack nozzle.

Just thoughts, time will tell, yet the experienced riders will think ahead about such things.

As far as fuel pumps go, they are widely used in many applications and tend to be reliable. Not sure there are any specs on these, yet one could easily run some flow specs to insure they are working properly. :rolleyes:

Wonder if Chewy has done much peg time on the 250 as yet? Figure it may take some adjustment for him, yet as I had commented on the '10 250 I had ridden earlier this year, I had a really good time on it, though short in duration. Made me want more! :rolleyes: