Scott Number Boards

Andy

Any reason why they were white lettering on blue background? I've been going through naming my photos and white on blue is FAR easier to decipher, even when plastered in mud than black on white. The mud becomes part of the black, whereas with no dark colours on the board it really is much better. Perhaps one for the SSDT to consider particularly as they don't have bibs to refer to if the board can't be read? :thumbup:

I'm not really sure, it's probably what is available at the time, one of the committee works for the company who provides the material. As far as I know we've used blue, red & black in previous years, it's probably been discussed at times but I can't remember. We've used red / blue in the 3 day to differentiate between riding the hard & easier routes, we've then used a yellow board to indicate the leaders as per the ssdt. I think we've always felt that light numbers on a darker board stands out better than black on white.

The material used is as per the riding number boards we all buy without the clear bit to take a card number. Breakages are rare.

The white on pink wasn't so easy to read as the white on blue, but as there are so few girls they're pretty much instantly recognisable anyway.

To run through the 136 photos for trialsphotos.com took about an hour and a half using the largest thumbnail size in Windows 7 which was fine to read the number for almost all photos. I'd normally expect that process to take at least 4 hours opening each photo in full. That wasn't needed except for a few.

If using a colour scheme like that makes it easier for me just looking at small photos then I'd have to assume it would make it easier for Observers.

THe SSDT was yellow numbers on a black background when I first rode it and in those days there was a board on each side of the bike at the back as well.

Correct, it was only when NCR Computers sponsored the SSDT that the numbers changed to black numerals on a white background (with red NCR logo at the top) and at that, only a board fixed to the front was used. Up until that point it had always been yellow numerals on a black background.

Big John