Heavy clutch

smallboy

You should not remove any springs as they are are there to make the clutch work correctly. Is your pull harder than other Beta`s? If so, you should correct what is wrong not bypass the problem. It is possible to remove two springs, but as the engine and plates warm up they will slip at the worst possible moment.

I agree check your clutch pull against other Betas to make sure nothing is wrong.

See my clutch post pinned at the top of the forum. It explains much about why Beta used heavier clutch springs then necessary for a properly operating clutch. I have done the plate dressing discussed in the article for '09 and '10 Evos for the top rider in New England. He likes the smoother clutch engagement but is running all six springs.

Make sure your clutch perch (sp?) is far into the bar. Hmmm bad explaination. Experianced riders position the perch as far in on the bar as it will go. That increases the leverage of your finger. If the perch is sitting next to the grip it's out too far.

It depends on what level you ride. For an expert who needs the clutch to grab hard and fast it's best to leave all six springs in. I find it rare that an expert has an issue with a heavy clutch as they practice often enough to have a "kung fu" grip and don't even notice. For the rest of us mostly senior riders with day jobs dropping a couple of springs or using 6 lighter springs makes the day much more enjoyable. Well actually the end of the day when we can still pull the clutch in. I've been running 4 springs on my '05 and '08 Betas for several years and only have started to get a slight slip in 6th at full throttle on the loop. I'm also no lightweight being now down to 205 lbs. Since I'm at full throttle so rarely it really isn't an issue compared to the forearm fatigue I used to get at the end of the day. With the clutch plates dressed the gear oil has a much greater effect on the clutch.

But to get back to your original question, didn't think I'd answer it did you? :D When I remove the springs I take the associated hardware out. There's no point in leaving in something that can get loose and damage the internals if it;

1. no longer serves a purpose

2. isn't held in place by spring pressure.

I remove springs opposite each other. Optimum would be to use six lighter springs though.

(edit) Duh I see you already looked at the pinned subject. My apologies for not paying attention.

Edited by Dan Williams

Hi Dan

The clutch lever should be fairly light and smooth to pull in through its full range of travel ?

I have had 3 evos and all have been the same ! ( unless it needs bleeding - being a hydraulic system ?)

Is it low on fluid ?)

Have you had the bike from new ? Has the gearbox oil been changed ? have you checked the clutch basket for wear ?

Cheers

Edited by mobbster