montesa 4rt wont start

dye29

hy can anyone help i have a 2005 4rt and not been on it for few month now i cant get it to start when i used to go on it it wasnt to good at starting then so i made sure rpm was at 1800 and new spark plug and airfilter but just cant get it to start any ideas regards ste

hy can anyone help i have a 2005 4rt and not been on it for few month now i cant get it to start when i used to go on it it wasnt to good at starting then so i made sure rpm was at 1800 and new spark plug and airfilter but just cant get it to start any ideas regards ste

have you started by checking for the spark, guess thats a yes, so we have good spark, next step fuel (possible carb clean needed blocked jet)if we have both fuel and a spark should start, if one is missing re trace problem, so if no spark check coils etc wiring earths and low-high tension leads spark plug cap.

No fuel check filter and tank.....poss carb hope that helps it can only be elec or fuel me thinks all the best Des..

Make sure you have some free play at the throttle otherwise PTB will think bike is running.

If you have a mate with a 4rt try swapping tanks, it could be the fuel pump

Make sure you have some free play at the throttle otherwise PTB will think bike is running.

If you have a mate with a 4rt try swapping tanks, it could be the fuel pump

hy not sure i used to check for a spark on plug by putting it against metal eg. exhaust and kicking it also checking fuel system if i strip it it dosnt need bleeding or out or can i just put back together thanks ste

Hello

I have some experience in troubleshooting Honda Montesa 4RT here in Denmark and since you have studied and tried a lot. Maybe I have the solution to your problem. A while ago I had a Honda Montesa 4RT (2005) for repair to me and this bike was very hard to start when it was cold. The solution to this problem was that it was the connector to the rectifier was rusty.

I cleaned the plug and gave the following somewhat dielectri Grease and the bike started right away.

It's worth a try

good luck

Greetings Honda Freak

Have you tried doing a compression test i had a similar problem hard to start from cold ok when warm turned out to be piston rings. The 4rt needs high compression to start, check the engine oil see iff fuel is getting into it.

You in scarborough to?

hy near there i go to low north camp alot , its strange ive set idle at 1800rpm and ive been told and seen that a 4rt to start just a slow stroke rather than i have to do is kick it like a 2 stroke and use throttle to start it its anoying when i watch my mate touch his kick start and it starts .