2007 290 ran without coolant

tayto94

Was looking at buying a 2007 290 Sherco, Its going cheap but he says it was ran for about 5 mins without coolant. It is starting first kick now. Whats the chances on it having seized after that long running without coolant? if I went to look at it and left it to heat up real well would it be safe to assume it not heat seized?

Worst case scenario . . .piston and rings, head gasket and maybe a rebore. Anyone idea on approx proce on that parts wise?labour I can do myself.

Cheers, appreciate any input

Was looking at buying a 2007 290 Sherco, Its going cheap but he says it was ran for about 5 mins without coolant. It is starting first kick now. Whats the chances on it having seized after that long running without coolant? if I went to look at it and left it to heat up real well would it be safe to assume it not heat seized?

Worst case scenario . . .piston and rings, head gasket and maybe a rebore. Anyone idea on approx proce on that parts wise?labour I can do myself.

Cheers, appreciate any input

difficult to be sure as he could be telling you anything. I think its possibly more than 5 mins and hes just covering his back but you need to judge that. Its a nikasil liner so you cant rebore it you would need to re coat the liner and I think thats over

my 290 has great compression and takes a good boot to start it, if it has nipped up it often traps the rings and compression goes so a quick compression test would reveal if compression has been affected

if you can get the exhaust off at the barrel have a look up the exhaust port and you'll see any scoring on the piston as it's more likely to nip on the exhaust port side

i think the bore is nicosil plated so it wouldn't be a rebore it would be a costly re-plating

difficult to be sure as he could be telling you anything. I think its possibly more than 5 mins and hes just covering his back but you need to judge that. Its a nikasil liner so you cant rebore it you would need to re coat the liner and I think thats over £100, check with Langcourt they should be on the web. Pistons are quite pricey for a sherco but you can get all the prices off Chris at Splatshop, they have an easy to use website.

Normally when one of these overheats it damages the head rubber o rings and when you put coolant in it leaks out of the cylinder head / cylinder joint.

I had a 2007 290 a while back, great bike by the way.

yeah had a look at a piston set, £150. . . fook that!!! Its a tough one to call its either go look at that or there is a 06 250 pretty close, just rebuilt, has black frame so thats the later model yes?

would prob be the better option I think

What ye think?

Edited by tayto94