Ty paint job

guy53

A while back someone put on I don't witch forum a picture of a twin shock TY with YAMAHA 1970 Yamaha Racing colour, i.e yellow with black striping. I won't say that I'm not interested in having my A model painted like that, but at least I would like to have another look at it. For the benefit of the owner of that beauty, I live in Qu

Have another look at the Aussie trials site. I have just posted the photos you are thinking of

err i'm interested too as i was seriously thinking about doing the same and could do with something to show the man with the spray gun. Whats the address of the "Aussie" trials site? cant find it on here. US and Canada yes but nothing for the colonies :rolleyes:

The Aussie Trials site is

www.trials.com.au

here is a link to the forum string about the paint scheme

http://www.trials.com.au/content/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=7viewtopic.php&p=20898#p20898

Thanks but not what i was thinking of. I'm thinking more like Kenny Roberts or as per RD400 / RD250 1970's

• 9 years later...
On 12/20/2010 at 2:42 AM, badmotofo said:

I thought I would add to the conversation. Here is my favorite Bumble Bee TY albeit far from a stock 175.

stephane-majesty200.gif

-Mike Behrens

Sorry for reopening this thread but I keep seeing these TY’s and I’m wanting to know the year and is there a name for the modifications? 

id love to build one. 

4 hours ago, Ash_Raine said:

Sorry for reopening this thread but I keep seeing these TY’s and I’m wanting to know the year and is there a name for the modifications? 

id love to build one. 

There are countless different ways to modify a TY175 frame.

There are copies of the first 175 Majesty frame but otherwise there is no generic name for any variation.

If you want to make one you need to work out what you want to achieve and decide how to get there. TY175s have been getting frame mods since they were released in 1975 so there is no "year". There is also a very wide range of opinion for what the ideal TY175 mods are.

I'll have a go at some safe generalisations.

The Ty175 wheelbase is very short standard so lots of people make the bike longer.

The steering rake is large standard (which suits the short standard wheelbase) so it's common to reduce the rake, in many different ways, to get a better trail dimension that will suit a lengthened wheelbase.

The TY175 is short between the footpegs and the steering head so it's common to move the pegs back but there are other ways to fix this too.

The pegs are high too so it's also common to make them lower.

The forks are quite skinny so they flex a bit unless you are a light person. Most twinshock forks are 34, 35 or 36mm diameter and it is fairly common for the original TY175 forks to be replaced with something bigger. The TY250 twinshock triples and forks fit on without modification and can be set up to work very well.

The swingarm pivot is a long way from the back of the motor so it is fairly common to move the pivot forwards which allows the use of a longer swingarm to improves handling and rear suspension action.

The rear suspension travel is a bit short when compared to much later twinshocks like TLRs and Fantics and it is fairly common for one or both shock mounts to be relocated to increase the axle travel.

The swingarm is fairly flexy so handling is improved by using something that resists twisting better.

• Like 1