Trials For Everyone

Guest coflet

We all like to see trials on television,new magazines on the stands excellent! BUT what if trials became as big as say premier league football you would be shoulder to shoulder to the next rider sorry trials parks is full come back next week,

Edited by coflet

I don't think we've got much to worry about. "Proper" outdoor trials is much less spectator and TV-friendly than just about any other motocycle sport (with the possible exception of enduro). There's not many people who will voluntarily stand on a Yorkshire moor in a force 9 gail in February to watch some blokes on bikes throw themselves at rocks. Can you imagine the cost of covering an event like the Scott properly on TV? The interest isn't there, so neither is the money. But without the money, you can't spark interest...

Indoor trials has far more potential to be developed into something that at least approaches other "extreme" sports in terms of TV popularity but even then I don't think it'll ever be much more than an interesting diversion in the public psyche. In order to become really big, it's a fact that you've got to have something that appeals to the lowest common social denominator and that means speed, glamour and to some extent, violence. Trials has none (or at least, very little) of these elements. You could make a case for the glamour but the kind of light shows and "rent-a-body"s you see at WITC rounds are superficial and if we're honest, not truly representative of the sport itself. What do we really have? A bunch of skinny Spaniards, an almost-sterotypical little Japanese fella ("I is very 'appy") and a big Yorkshireman with an accent so thick that he needs subtitles on US TV. All of whom are stupendously talented and considered almost gods amongst afficionados but you've got to think about what Joe Public will see.

I think big john has the KEY point here....and its a VERY scarey one!...but I also (in some ways) agree with you coflet. One of the best things about trials (to me) is the way you can really enjoy watching a big event. I remember paying about 30 quid to stand about 10 deep at the fence at Brands Hatch to watch WSB years ago......I guess I did HEAR a few bikes go round every couple of minutes!!.......(NEVER again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Compare that with the fun I had watching at the European trials at Hawkstone last summer...well...to me....I'd watch the trials EVERY time! :wall:

Big John is right, Defra are about to tell us they have downgraded the majority of green lanes to bridalways. They are also introducing a farmers subsidy scheme to keep mechanically propelled vheicles of farm land. Mabe one of the officials from the acu could tell us what the new legislation actually is and how it is going to affect us!!!

Edited by Rowly

I don't think we've got much to worry about. "Proper" outdoor trials is much less spectator and TV-friendly than just about any other motocycle sport (with the possible exception of enduro). There's not many people who will voluntarily stand on a Yorkshire moor in a force 9 gail in February to watch some blokes on bikes throw themselves at rocks. Can you imagine the cost of covering an event like the Scott properly on TV? The interest isn't there, so neither is the money. But without the money, you can't spark interest...

Indoor trials has far more potential to be developed into something that at least approaches other "extreme" sports in terms of TV popularity but even then I don't think it'll ever be much more than an interesting diversion in the public psyche. In order to become really big, it's a fact that you've got to have something that appeals to the lowest common social denominator and that means speed, glamour and to some extent, violence. Trials has none (or at least, very little) of these elements. You could make a case for the glamour but the kind of light shows and "rent-a-body"s you see at WITC rounds are superficial and if we're honest, not truly representative of the sport itself. What do we really have? A bunch of skinny Spaniards, an almost-sterotypical little Japanese fella ("I is very 'appy") and a big Yorkshireman with an accent so thick that he needs subtitles on US TV. All of whom are stupendously talented and considered almost gods amongst afficionados but you've got to think about what Joe Public will see.

well done neonsurge you have actually managed to post on a thread in a manner that other people understand !!!! (dont be too hurt they all make sense to me mate ! :wall: )

Big John is right, Defra are about to tell us they have downgraded the majority of green lanes to bridalways. They are also introducing a farmers subsidy scheme to keep mechanically propelled vheicles of farm land. Mabe one of the officials from the acu could tell us what the new legislation actually is and how it is going to affect us!!!

I

Any way as for trials become that popular and prices going up (ohh you know your talking about trials when every ones worry is the price - ROFLOL!!!)

Trials - IMHO is very popular- conceivable it could still become popular still

Fundamentally it is a very cheap form of motor sport that many people can do, it requires little capital expenditure (the bikes are cheap), little maintenance, little outlay per events (trials cost peanuts). Also on the organisers side, very few people are required to organise a trial, land is available, and you don't upset anybody

I help organise Trials, MXs and Enduros (and know a little about grass track in the centre too) - trials has very little of the problems any of the other 3 sports have.....

enjoy cheap trials!

rabie :wall: