Kickstart mechanism

woody

Does anyone know whether the Rotax motor has a 'stop' on the kickstart mechanism? Mine is the Jumbo but I believe it's the same as the 240/280 motors.

Problem has occured in that the kickstart travel/rotation is long and on full swing the knuckle of the kickestart has gone round and punched a hole in the casing. I can't see how to stop this happening. It's never happened before but it's happening now.

I've looked at the parts diagram and had the kickstart ratchet and spring out but can't see that there is anything to stop the kickstart shaft continuing to rotate until the kickstart hits the casing. There is no way I can kick it gently enough to shorten the swing to prevent this happening, not even using the decompressor, the kickstart travels full swing. I repaired the casing yesterday and it's holed it again today.

Am I missing something?

Woody , I never had a SWM. The Climber had the stop on the bolt below the K/S shaft that most people thought was the oil drain. Could that have sheared??? Just a thought.

No, it's intact but that seems to be the return stop, not s stop to prevent the full rotation of the kickstart?

Woody,

If you look on "Tony's Blog" under the article "The Clockwork Elephant" you will see the kicker prevention bracket that fits on the clutch casing. Its a cheap nasty bit of engineering but it works. I believe you can still buy them from Martin M.

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks Tony, mine did have some sort of case saver but I think it was more from rock damage than the kickstart. I can't remember exactly what it looks like, from memory it was different from yours, maybe the same as the one on the ignition side, but I can't find it at the moment, it's 'safe' in a box somewhere with some other parts. Maybe it will do the job.

I'll have a hunt for it tomorrow

Thanks Rob. I definitely don't have one of those. Whatever was fitted to mine, some kind of case saver, I haven't found yet as not had time to look.

Next question now... Your sidestand. Is that the usual way they are fitted? Mine came with some sort of U shaped steel bracket attached to the kickstart when I bought the bike, although neither was attached to the bike. I assumed it was some kind of 'fix' and that the correct bracket had broken off the swingarm. Is that one on yours the correct bracket or is that something you've fashioned. It's neat, whichever. Mine has no holes in the swingarm where your 2 screws are.

And finally... have you done anything with your clutch or is it standard. Maybe you're one of the lucky few who has a decent Rotax clutch operation. Mine is junk. I really like the bike, the engine torque is phenomenal with the reed fitted, but the clutch ruins it. I've just fitted Barnett plates (they work really well on my Ossa and Bultaco) but they've made no real difference. It still graunches and judders if trying to slip it in 3rd or above and it's almost impossible to get it light enough for one finger without it slipping on initial take up. Back it off to cure the slipping and it won't fully disengage and creeps. I'm going to start from scratch and set it up again before the weekend to try again, but just wondered if you had done anything specific to yours to make it work, or do you just put up with it. I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking about getting someone clever to fit me a different clutch in it.

Hi Woody

sorry mate thats not my bike, I used to have a Jumbo back in 1983 best bike I ever had, I want another one and would have another tommorow if I could, but not many about these days, so I had to settle for a TL320 to restore for now.

Dave Dawson has my progress on his website along with his projects http://www.classicrider444.com/category/bike-projects

Below is a picture what the stand bracket should look like, the other picture looks like a bit of a repair to me, its in the right place but i wonder if it would have been better fastned to the swing arm from the other side so you could not see any screws?

002.jpg

Does your clutch cable go to a lever mechanism on the cylinder head first and then another cable to the clutch case? As i remember that was to lighten the clutch and should work

drop Martin M an email he knows SWM's inside out, I have found him very helpfull

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob, yes I've seen your 320 rebuild - nice job.

Thanks for the info, the picture clears up the sidestand bracket issue, that's as I thought it should be. The bracket on mine has been welded back on but it is at the wrong angle so needs doing again. Now I know what it looks like.

Mine has the lightner, the pull is ok, it's just the action of the clutch itself, it's ok in most situations but when you want it in a higher gear it isn't really good enough and is going to cause problems in harder events. I've another couple of things to try before real desperation sets in. I know Martin and will see him at Telford in a few weeks.

Thanks Anthony, good idea, neat too.

I've found the case saver now and I can see that it extends back far enough to stop the kickstart as well as protect the casing against knocks, although it's different from the one pictured in a previous post. Wish I'd realised it doubled as a kickstart stop before I holed the casing...

A handy way to solve the kickstart problem is to weld a little extension on to the sump guard so the kickstarter stops against that, instead of hitting the clutch case.

I see that the kick start retainer has been modified, did you do this your self ?

Looks neat, anybody got any other solutions to worn kickstarts ?

Thanks

Ross

I see that the kick start retainer has been modified, did you do this your self ?

Looks neat, anybody got any other solutions to worn kickstarts ?

Thanks

Ross

I did the same with mine to secure the kickstart arm to the knuckle. Made a cup to fit over the the knuckle shaft in place of the circlip, drilled and tapped the shaft, fit the arm, fit the cup and secure with an M8 bolt.

The circlip can't take the load and I had quite a few fail, even using the decompressor when starting, which can easily result in a lost kickstart arm, probably at the bottom of a ravine. This shouldn't happen now as it is a much more secure means of securing the arm.