M80 Crank

myson

Hi, I have just split the cranks on my M80 engine and have found it has 3 main bearings. I was sure that it was only later models that had this feature. I also want to remove the two gearbox bearings that are located in blind holes, what is the best/easiest method?

Cheers,

Myson

I suspect that someone has upgraded the bearing to the later spec. This can be done to all engines as far as I know.

The easiest way I know of getting the gearbox bearings out is to use a pair of mole grips on the outside race and then gently heat the area

and just pull and turn at the same time. should just pop out. just done one myself. Hope this helps

Edited by noel063

I suspect that someone has upgraded the bearing to the later spec. This can be done to all engines as far as I know.

The easiest way I know of getting the gearbox bearings out is to use a pair of mole grips on the outside race and then gently heat the area

and just pull and turn at the same time. should just pop out. just done one myself. Hope this helps

Hi, thanks for the reply, I believe tht you can use a modified seal retainer to do this but this one has the bearings located inside the original casting, Dont know if this is possible on original M80 case.

Myson

My M80 has 3 main bearing which according the the manual is standard for the year.

Simplest way to remove all bearings in to put each crankcase in the oven @

145 degrees for 15 minutes and they will simply drop out.

Reassembly is just the reverse, but put the bearings in the fridge prior to dropping into the heated crankcase.

Oh dont for get to put the crank oil seal holders (without seals) in place the stop the bearings droping right through.

Finally put a pepperoni pizza in the oven to get rid of the oil smell. It just keeps the wife happy!

Have fun

Martin