Newbie questions

jonabonospen

Looking at giving trials a try and got loads of questions to ask so thought I would try put them all in one post if I can:

ABOUT ME: I am 29 years old, am a chunky chappy at around 18 stone (I'm just too short for my weight - 5'10"), and have been riding road bikes for about 4 years, currently riding a 1995 ZXR750 and a 53 plate Honda CBR1100-XX Super Blackbird

What sort of bike should I be looking for? 250cc? bigger due to my size?

Should I look for a road legal bike or does it not really matter, just personal preference?

Where do people recommend I could ride and practice around Wakefield / Morley in West Yorkshire?

Think thats the most important questions I can think of for now. Sure there will be plenty more to come though.

Go to pennine trialsport see andy he will help you find the best bike. I am a bigginer on a gas gas 200 its just spot on for me.I know of many bigginers on 125s. 250 and above can be a bit of a hanfull for a first bike... I ride Bumpy and cowm.

By and large the best way is to hook up with a couple of guys who ride. Pennine trialsport will be helpful here. Most guys are really helpful and obliging when it comes to taking a new rider under their wing. Try their bikes, see what you like and don't like. Get involved laying out a trial (so you get to see the other side of the coin). Your contacts may know somebody who's selling a bike. They may also know somebody who's selling their clobber. Get to enjoy your new friends company and get to know what makes trials riders "tick" (we're a pretty eccentric bunch and the humour can be very dry at times).

Most of all, ease yourself into the sport. Their's nothing sadder than seeing somebody who thinks they can be Toni Bou in an instant and then discovering that they don't have the talent or emotional or intellectual state of mind to stay with the sport (and I've seen plenty of these).

There is a TrialsUK Horsforth Novice and Beginners trial on the 30th January at Deer Park Bingley. This is pretty easy to find and would show you the sort of course you need to aim at initially. I'd also pop along to the Series Sponsor TrialsUK and talk to Nige. They are in Horsforth and advertise on this site. Andy at Pennine is also a good font of advice. There is another Dealer in Barnsley but Andy (site Owner) doesn't like us talking about them, but they remain a friendly bunch. Personally I can vouch for all these dealers as being friendly and knowledgeable. Colin Appleyards do have a dealership in Leeds but the Keighley Shop is the one that mainly deals in Trials. Depends on how easy that is for you to get to. If you join the Horsforth Club you can use Swaine Woods in Horsforth. Just ask when you join about it and the "ground rules" about using it. There aren't many but it's to keep the locals quiet.

All these guys have 2nd hand bikes and web sites and will be able to steer you in the direction of practice areas and Trials.

Yeadon & Guiseley, Horsforth, Bradford, Spen Valley and Ripon run Beginners trials and all have Websites. West Leeds mainly Run at Post Hill in Leeds and the "Easy" course is usually suitable for Beginners.

Parkwood Off-Road Park at Tong is also available for practice on selected dates. These are usually flagged on the Horsforth Web site and it's about a £10 for the whole day. It's a really big area also used for 4x4 and Enduro events so if you aren't sure of dates ring and check. There is an Enduro on there this weekend with Trials Stalwarts Dougie Lampkin and Graham Jarvis competing. Basically Find a Trial and pop along to find out whats what.

Edited by Telecat

theres bumpy, tong (on selected weekends) and swain woods at horsforth if you join the

club. whats your budget for a bike ?

there will be a group of us up at bumpy on saturday am with a wide variety of bikes

both 2 stroke and 4 stroke, im sure i can blag you a ride on most of them

jsp

theres bumpy, tong (on selected weekends) and swain woods at horsforth if you join the

club. whats your budget for a bike ?

there will be a group of us up at bumpy on saturday am with a wide variety of bikes

both 2 stroke and 4 stroke, im sure i can blag you a ride on most of them

jsp

Thanks very much for the offer jsp but first off I need to make some space in the garage and sell one or two of my road bikes in order to free up some funds and make the space. What the bikes sell for will determine the budget I have, although I think it will be somewhere on the cheaper end just until I see if I take to it or not, somewhere between

Generally it's muddy so until you get some Trials kit then Wet weather trousers and a free fitting jacket. Did I mention the mud? Trials boots are less armoured than MX ones and have a bigger "boot" up the legs than road boots. They also have grippy soles. Most start with wellies and a decent pair of socks so they don't move around too much. BUMPY do sell kit so you'll get an idea of what you need.