Thinking about swapping to Scorpa

ow3nb1rd

Afternoon all,

I am new to the sport and managed to pick up a sherco 290 and a gas gas 280 for cheap. They're both in a bit of a state so I'm considering starting again with a bit of a newer bike. I like the look of scorpa, I especially appreciate the linkage-less back end.

The thing which is putting me off a bit though, is that there don't seem to be as many people carrying parts compared with Sherco.

What's it like owning a Scorpa in the UK? Is it an additional ballache if something goes wrong?

Cheers!

I've got an 08 SY250R. Part of the reason I traded off the GG for it was because it dosesn't have all that rear suspension linkage. I replaced a lot of linkage bearings over the years. The Utah sand is hard on them. At the level that most of us mere mortals ride, I doubt many could ever tell the difference. I will tell you though that it seems to work fine, as I had a couple of instances last year that could have turned out bad when I got off my line, but the suspension just soaked everything up and saved my butt, so it turned out fine. Mine has the Yamaha motor. The new Scorpa's actually have a Sherco motor. Can't tell you anything about how the Sherco motor works, but I'd expect it's fine. Probably a little more compact than the Yamaha motor, but that hasn't been an issue for me either. I've owned about all of them except the Montesa, and have to tell you that it's pretty much whatever fits you best. None of the makes are perfect. My only complaint with the Scorpa is that it takes a little more doing to get at the carb for jet work and such. Once you've done it a couple of times it's no big deal. Most of these machines use similar components too, such as brake master cylinder and such so finding parts shouldn't be a problem. Have to go to Scorpa for stuff like fenders and such. I haven't broken one yet. They seem very playable and don't seem near as prone to breakage as some of the others makes that I've owned. I doubt that you can go too far wrong with any of the makes out there, like I said it's a do you like Fords, Chevys, or Dodges sort of thing? I've liked mine. So far it's been bullet proof. Good luck with what you decide.

Afternoon all,

I am new to the sport and managed to pick up a sherco 290 and a gas gas 280 for cheap. They're both in a bit of a state so I'm considering starting again with a bit of a newer bike. I like the look of scorpa, I especially appreciate the linkage-less back end.

The thing which is putting me off a bit though, is that there don't seem to be as many people carrying parts compared with Sherco.

What's it like owning a Scorpa in the UK? Is it an additional ballache if something goes wrong?

Cheers!

Ive also just bought a Scorpa - I checked first and spares/advice is easily available from Birkett Motorsports.

Why not consider a Beta Rev3 if linkless is what you want. This is only my opinion of the Yam Scorpa`s, my friend had one which fell over in the wind and the gear level holed the engine casing which was thin as hell. The petrol tank`s can hole and seen many repaired or have been replace not cheap. Worst thing ive seen is a young girls engine completely split in halve and the kickstart had returned punching an hole in, yes the tank.

The Sherco 290 and GasGas 280 are the worst possible choices to learn on and would advise you to take plenty of time and try a few bike`s and ask lots of questions as you may regret your next purchase. My first purchase was the worst possible choice and i too rushed in on my first few bikes only to regret it.

Best of luck

Scorpa SY's are timeless classics, like Technics 1210's Fender Strats, mk1 golf and the Orange 5 . Get a good one and you cant go far wrong.. Nothing to me feels as smooth or as lively, the only downside is if not looked after they can look scruffy quickly, if i didnt ride scorpa i would probably have an Evo.

Why not consider a Beta Rev3 if linkless is what you want. This is only my opinion of the Yam Scorpa`s, my friend had one which fell over in the wind and the gear level holed the engine casing which was thin as hell. The petrol tank`s can hole and seen many repaired or have been replace not cheap. Worst thing ive seen is a young girls engine completely split in halve and the kickstart had returned punching an hole in, yes the tank.

The Sherco 290 and GasGas 280 are the worst possible choices to learn on and would advise you to take plenty of time and try a few bike`s and ask lots of questions as you may regret your next purchase. My first purchase was the worst possible choice and i too rushed in on my first few bikes only to regret it.

Best of luck

Have you been drinking?

Are you coming to our Kingswood Centre trial next Sunday? All friendly folk it's a left turn (sighned with castrol flag) off road to Wickwar from Chipping Sodbury. We'll even buy you a pint if you observe.

Ahem, I was not aware anything was going on, and so close as well! If I observe will I get a chance to cock about on my bike too?